Plan for chicken that has been almost eaten by her flock mates!!!

I agree with BWChicken's suggestion here..

I have recently made massive introductions to a henhouse and I am finding that loading em up with feed really helps the social anxiety. Of course I have some laying hens going crazy for chick starter so I'm making sure they always have oyster shell while the young ones are getting to maturity.l

It's a little more expensive than in spring when the foraging is probably better but they do better if there's "abundance" during a time of social stress.

Quote:
x2

Can I just feed them straight Game Bird 28 % every other day. I really don't want to mixs it because I raise more chickens & quail also.

Quote:
Done!! Do you use this product?

Yes I do.
smile.png

Quote:
I hope others will answer this for you as well, I think it would be fine. But are you planning to feed the layer on the days they don't get the GB feed? That may be a drawback. I've always heard that changing feeds too often may not be good. I guess they need time for their systems to adjust to different feed? I am really not sure about this, that's why I hope others can help answer.

But just feeding just GBS every other day for a while sounds great to me and I think it'll help them a lot. Put out oyster shell for your layers and they'll be fine without the layer feed. I'm even wondering if you could offer them the 28% GBS every day until they start to look better (but that may be too much protein)? I've not dealt with protein that high, so I'm hoping others here can offer feedback on that. I wouldn't do it every day unless someone more knowledgeable than me says it's ok.

Let us know how they do. Before and after pics would be great too! I love pictures!
smile.png

Quote:
I hope others will answer this for you as well, I think it would be fine. But are you planning to feed the layer on the days they don't get the GB feed? That may be a drawback. I've always heard that changing feeds too often may not be good. I guess they need time for their systems to adjust to different feed? I am really not sure about this, that's why I hope others can help answer.

But just feeding just GBS every other day for a while sounds great to me and I think it'll help them a lot. Put out oyster shell for your layers and they'll be fine without the layer feed. I'm even wondering if you could offer them the 28% GBS every day until they start to look better (but that may be too much protein)? I've not dealt with protein that high, so I'm hoping others here can offer feedback on that. I wouldn't do it every day unless someone more knowledgeable than me says it's ok.

Let us know how they do. Before and after pics would be great too! I love pictures!
smile.png

I just mixed it in their feeder one scoop 17 % laying pellets then one scoop game bird starter 28%. I like pictures too but I really don't want to take pictures of them the way they look now. Hopefully, this will work & they will grow their feathers back & then will get pictures. Here's their off spring pullets their gorgeous.
63768_pullets_quail_021.jpg

Quote:
Perfect! I'm betting that after eating a good amount of that mixture every day you'll see improvement soon!
fl.gif

Those are some pretty girls you have there! So I take it that the feather picking is just confined to that one group? Because their offspring in that pic don't seem to be following in mama's footsteps (thankfully). They're beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Perfect! I'm betting that after eating a good amount of that mixture every day you'll see improvement soon!
fl.gif

Those are some pretty girls you have there! So I take it that the feather picking is just confined to that one group? Because their offspring in that pic don't seem to be following in mama's footsteps (thankfully). They're beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Yup, I let them free range at a different time I'm scared that mom & dad will teach them bad habits. I'd go crazy no let me rephrase that crazier if they were all feather eaters. Yes, my fingers & toes are crossed & I'm praying that they will turn around. It seems like with the cold weather & all their butts would be cold & a bell would go off & they would want their feathers. Guess, they don't realize how bad they look. Dummies!!

Back
Top Bottom