Playhouse Chicken Coop?

Pics

floral_chickadee

Chirping
Mar 15, 2021
North Carolina
Last edited:
So I’m new to this website, and I apologize if I’m not using the right thing to ask questions but I was wondering if this playhouse: https://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft...awHV8vh1h0ari389bXEaAsEYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds would work as a chicken coop?

What could I do to make it more suitable as a chicken coop? Or is that even a good idea?
I’m not sure about the coop, but :welcome !!!:frow:D:yesss::celebrate
We are so glad you’ve joined us!
Have any questions? Need any help?
Just ask!
Everyone here is very friendly and kind!

Unlike many playhouses it's well-ventilated.

It's also larger than most pre-fab coops at just shy of 20 square feet -- enough for 4-5 hens.

If it were me, I'd want to check out the structure and materials very thoroughly because kids' playhouses are usually designed to last only a few years -- since kids outgrow them. I'd also wonder how waterproof it is -- since kids don't use their playhouses in the rain.

Does it have a floor? If so, you could put it up on blocks to make it easier for you to maintain.

The usual guidelines are that each standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

This playhouse, if the quality of construction is sufficient, would do a much better job of meeting the coop requirements than most prefab coops. :)

What could I do to make it more suitable as a chicken coop? Or is that even a good idea?
Ehhhh....it's kinda small and short.
How many birds are you wanting to keep?
It would need lots of work(how handy are you?) and not sure the wood is sturdy enough to do that.

Unlike many playhouses it's well-ventilated.
Yes, big open windows, that are not protected from the weather.

Welcome to BYC! @floral_chickadee
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1615926362299.png

Not protected from the weather, yes.

But it is probably easier to put louvers and awnings over vents that are too open than to deal with an unventilated box. :)

@floral_chickadee Where, in general, are you located? Do you need to design your coop for hot summers, cold winters, severe storms, or ???

Ehhhh....it's kinda small and short.
How many birds are you wanting to keep?
It would need lots of work(how handy are you?) and not sure the wood is sturdy enough to do that.

Welcome to BYC! @floral_chickadee
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2572739
Oh! Didn’t know I could do that! I’ll be sure to get on that! But for the time being, I’m from North Carolina. The highs for summer are usually in the 90s and the lows for winter being somewhere in the 20s. We don’t get a lot of snow, even when it does snow.

Back
Top Bottom