Please give me ideas on what could be going on with my Pekin.

EHebes

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2021
My year old female Pekin has begun acting different. She seems lethargic and not as active, but is eating and drinking well. She is sort if isolating herself from the other 4 ducks, like will just be laying off on her own.
When she flaps her wings to stretch, her right wing doesn’t extend, but looks fine at rest. I’ve inspected her feet and the wing for injury. When I open her right wing, she doesn’t try to bite me like it hurts, but the whole wing quivers. Should I wrap it just in case she is injured?
She is pooping and it looks normal, I’m not sure if she is laying, it’s hard to tell when we have 5 ducks who lay in the same spot.
No mites are present anywhere.

If she is holding her wing normal and it's laying normal probably isn't necessary to wrap just keep an eye on it.
Has she been spending time on the nest? just ruling out broody.
How does her poop look? Might be a good idea to keep her separated for a day to make sure she is eating and drinking normally and get a good look at her poops. If you can keep her separate but where everyone can still see each other would be best for less stress.
No one picking on her?

First part sounds like my problem right now. Don’t eat feed but is drinking and getting around fine but it isolating herself from the rest of the flock. I don’t have the wing problem but I’m just not getting my girl to eat. I think she is isolating to get away and maybe heal up from being sore from mating? I’m not sure. I think she is not a fan of the feed either which is weird because she’s never had a problem before. I put some meal worms in and she ate those and I put another hen with her so she wasn’t so lonely. It looks hopeful now but I definitely was at a loss for ideas and did not think my baby would get better. Following to see how yours turns out. Best of luck!

If she is holding her wing normal and it's laying normal probably isn't necessary to wrap just keep an eye on it.
Has she been spending time on the nest? just ruling out broody.
How does her poop look? Might be a good idea to keep her separated for a day to make sure she is eating and drinking normally and get a good look at her poops. If you can keep her separate but where everyone can still see each other would be best for less stress.
No one picking on her?
Thank you for responding!
She hasn’t been spending extra time in the nest. Her poop looks normal- I separated her for a few hours in a large pen that we kept our St. Bernard in— in that time she pooped normal, ate and drank. I took her back because she was so stressed being away. She also has been eating with all the other girls. No one is picking on her at all, but she does seem disinterested in being with them.
I gave her some electrolytes in case she was dehydrated, but she is drinking well.

Well, it sounds like other than being disinterested in being with everyone she is doing everything normal.
I have a Fawn and White Runner who is most of the time off by herself. She has other Runners to hang with but most of the time she doesn't. This isn't new with her though she is now 3 yrs old and has done this most of her life.
I guess with your female best you can do is just watch for other signs that might give you a clue as to what is going on.
Hopefully someone else will see this thread and add something I have missed.

Back
Top Bottom