PLEASE HELP!!😖 My hen is ill and i don’t know why!!

Jerandy

Hatching
Jun 23, 2020
Hey guys, my hen is ill and I have no clue why! She makes these weird gargling noises, she sneezes a lot and mucus comes out, and it’s pretty scary because her eyes go full wide and she tilts her head up when she sneezes. Her breath also is a bit raspy, and she’s shying away and hiding more and more by the days. We got them as a gift from my aunt last year, so I don’t know her age. It may also have something to do with the heat? We live in Glendale, Arizona, so the temperatures have been as high as 119 recently! We have already purchased electrolytes to put in her water, and we have been feeding her normal pellets along with some cold watermelon for her heat. If you guys need any more information, please ask. And please help me with this, I just want her to be happy and healthy again😢

It sounds like she probably has a respiratory infection. This can be caused by a bacteria or a virus. The virus is permanent and may or may not be suppressed by the hen. A bacterial infection is very treatable. As for medication recommendations I have always been fortunately to able to take my hen to a vet, but I know people have used OTC antibiotics with success.

It sounds like she probably has a respiratory infection. This can be caused by a bacteria or a virus. The virus is permanent and may or may not be suppressed by the hen. A bacterial infection is very treatable. As for medication recommendations I have always been fortunately to able to take my hen to a vet, but I know people have used OTC antibiotics with success.
Thank you so much for replying! Do you by any chance know what the OTC antibiotics are called, because I don't have access to a vet :(

Hey guys, my hen is ill and I have no clue why! She makes these weird gargling noises, she sneezes a lot and mucus comes out, and it’s pretty scary because her eyes go full wide and she tilts her head up when she sneezes. Her breath also is a bit raspy, and she’s shying away and hiding more and more by the days. We got them as a gift from my aunt last year, so I don’t know her age. It may also have something to do with the heat? We live in Glendale, Arizona, so the temperatures have been as high as 119 recently! We have already purchased electrolytes to put in her water, and we have been feeding her normal pellets along with some cold watermelon for her heat. If you guys need any more information, please ask. And please help me with this, I just want her to be happy and healthy again😢
Can you get some photos of her and her poop?
What does her crop feel like?
Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last 30 days?
Does this hen lay eggs?

Look inside her beak, do you see any lesions, mucous or yellow pasty material like canker?
What does her crop feel like?

Look for any eye bubbles or nasal drainage, or swelling around an eye. There are a handful of respiratory diseases in chickens including infectious bronchitis and ILT virus, mycoplasma (MG,) and coryza, bacterial infections, and aspergillosis from mold. Most diseases are caused by exposure to a carrier and may affect the chicken for life, making them carriers. Tylosin powder for the water may be available online to use in the water to treat symptoms of MG. Here is a link that gives symptoms of those diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom