please help broody hen has ANTS on her and a BLACK comb?

Is there a bad smell coming from that comb? It appears there is a bad infection with necrotic tissue. No wonder the ants were after her.

You need to treat that comb. Do you feel up to doing a little intensive first aid and maybe a bit of surgery? If so I can tell you what you need to do.

Otherwise, you really need to have a vet look at this hen.

im not sure she is the lowest in the pecking order but she is not letting no one on that nest and she keeps moving from corner to corner last night she was in one corner this morning she was in the other corner but that might be the ants moving her

You might have to make the call between the stress of moving her and the stress of the ants harrying her (and only if you KNOW it's the ants making her change corners). I have yet to use "Bird Hospital" so I can't comment on the best time for that.

Is there a bad smell coming from that comb? It appears there is a bad infection with necrotic tissue. No wonder the ants were after her.

You need to treat that comb. Do you feel up to doing a little intensive first aid and maybe a bit of surgery? If so I can tell you what you need to do.

Otherwise, you really need to have a vet look at this hen.
i dont know if i would be able to do surgery there is not a smell coming from the comb but sorry i forgot to say that she did eat one of her eggs so i think that may be why the ants are there thank you so much for your help

Okay, no surgery. How about being able to clean the comb well with soap and warm water and a cotton ball? Can you then pick off the black scabs? You need to get rid of the dying tissue so that new tissue can replace it. I would get rid of the Green Goo, and find a triple antibiotic ointment to use on it instead. Do you have some Vetericyn? The feed store sells it. Try to get some. It will help heal and promote new tissue growth.

Definitely get some de dust its safe for her and the eggs or chicks to rid the ants.። also the cheapest is on amazon $19.99 for ten lb bag, which I have come across .. most feed stores want alot for a small amount, but, maybe its just where I reside

Okay, no surgery. How about being able to clean the comb well with soap and warm water and a cotton ball? Can you then pick off the black scabs? You need to get rid of the dying tissue so that new tissue can replace it. I would get rid of the Green Goo, and find a triple antibiotic ointment to use on it instead. Do you have some Vetericyn? The feed store sells it. Try to get some. It will help heal and promote new tissue growth.
thank you i will clean it up and stop putting the green goo in it and take off the scabs thanks for your help

I wouldn't trust DE to get rid of anything.

Have you moved her away from the ants yet?
If not...do so sooner rather than later.
im about to make her her own area today and clean up the ants but i will have to move her at night so i dont stress her out so before i move her im going to clean up the ants around her hopefully that will help untell i can move her

Back
Top Bottom