Please help, I don't know what to do....

LadyK314

Hatching
Apr 16, 2016
Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster and in need of SERIOUS help.

My chickens and ducks will not stop mating. But it's absolutely seems not consensual, atleast for my ducks.

I have attempted to save the females as much as possible, but today I was at my wit’s end. While rescuing a chicken from a rooster, my two favorite ducks were involved in what I can only describe as an audacious three-some.

The ducks consistently take a bath after these unwanted sexual adventures.

I don’t know what to do anymore, all the farmers in my area tell me this is normal, but no way in heck do I believe them, at least not anymore. I NEVER see this on their farms, all their males are gentlemen and respectful.

I want my animals to have a peaceful and serene environment and I feel as if I am failing. I tried moving the males out and some of the girls (the promiscuous chickens for one) were…unhappy. The males ducks kept finding their way BACK into the run.

Does any anyone know of any way I can naturally decrease their libido? A friend of mine said to give them alcohol, because when she drinks she get less randy, but…she’s not a bird and I don’t want to pass out 30+ shots and have a bunch of drunks on my hands.
I know I may sound crazy and I hope you can forgive me.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Separation and culling of excess males would solve the problem. Males tend to mate more frequently and aggressively when in competition with other males. Multiple drakes breeding a duck in water can result in the duck being drowned.

So there's no way to just change their diet or something, because I don't want to kill them. I would hate to have to give them away, but if that's the only option to let them live I guess I have no choice.

Thanks
hit.gif

Separation and culling of excess males would solve the problem. Males tend to mate more frequently and aggressively when in competition with other males. Multiple drakes breeding a duck in water can result in the duck being drowned.
X2

There is nothing you can feed or do to change their nature to breed. If there was, we'd all be buying it for our drakes. It's just in their nature to breed and reproduce. The only thing we can control is the reproduction... don't let the girls sit on their eggs.

A drake can kill a chicken if it tries to mate with it. Hens are not anatomically the same as ducks. And, as sourland said, if you have too many drakes to ducks... your ducks will get hurt if not killed. A good ratio is 1 drake to 3-4 ducks.

I know it's hard to do, but if you don't step in now and cull or separate something will happen that will be much harder on you then giving them away. Good luck.

I would suggest ridding of all males, unless you are planning to hatch eggs or you really want them for protection of your flock

Drakes can kill female ducks if you don't have enough females for him, like ren2014 said, 1 drake per 3-4 females

I would rid of them quickly before something happens. How many drakes/roosters do you have? And how many female chickens/ducks?

Edited by Staff

Last edited:
I would suggest ridding of all males, unless you are planning to hatch eggs or you really want them for protection of your flock

I got two cockerels out of 6 chickens I bought, they were all supposed to be pullets

Drakes can kill female ducks if you don't have enough females for him, like ren2014 said, 1 drake per 3-4 females

I would rid of them quickly before something happens. How many drakes/roosters do you have? And how many female chickens/ducks?
Eat excess males, give them away, kill them and bury them.

x2!

At least give them a humane death!

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Separation and culling of excess males would solve the problem.  Males tend to mate more frequently and aggressively when in competition with other males.  Multiple drakes breeding a duck in water can result in the duck being drowned.
I agree with everything sour has said. Please do not drop them off to fend for themselves anywhere, ever, as suggested. This is actually considered animal cruelty and can lead to you being prosecuted.

They can be offered for free or processed and be a great source of fresh healthy meat for you and your family. I know you see them as pets and don't want to eat them but it is the best thing. Extra drakes and roosters are always processed here and it makes us happy to know they lived a good healthy life before going to the freezer.

Last edited:
I agree with everything sour has said. Please do not drop them off to fend for themselves anywhere, ever, as suggested. This is actually considered animal cruelty and can lead to you being prosecuted.

They can be offered for free or processed and be a great source of fresh healthy meat for you and your family. I know you see them as pets and don't want to eat them but it is the best thing. Extra drakes and roosters are always processed here and it makes us happy to know they lived a good healthy life before going to the freezer.

x2!

At least give them a humane death! 

Edited by Staff

I never said for her to drop them off, I never suggested it, I was just saying that's what I had to do. It was a one time thing, I listed them for free in different areas for weeks and no one would take them, they were very aggressive to the hens. This was years ago when I did this and if I was to get roosters now I would cull them, I didn't know as much as I do now.

Hello.....All that you are seeing is Normal Drake and Rooster behaviour.....Drakes get along till the hormones kick in......I agree you have to many Drakes...They can really Hurt a Duck Hen if all the Drakes want the same Hen....1 Drake to 2 to 5 Hens......
If the breeding part of Birds bothers you, I would get rid of all males and keep the ladies....

Best of luck.....

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom