Please help me!!! my hen is lethargic with undigested grains and yellow urates in poop

Thank you very much! I will try to give her Flagyl. I think ½ tablet daily for 5 days is ok. I gave her mealworms but from 4 days she don't want to eat them anymore. I'll give her to eat what you suggested me and I am very grateful !

First I want to thank you for your support. She had this problem only for 1 month ago and she had acces to grit, but she don't want to eat anything, including it. I give her only chickens food which she can digest because is more soft than grains and maybe it would be a good ideea to force her to eat some grit?

I agree with Kathy, bacterial or fungal. Since you said she was on antibiotics and still the same, I would treat for a fungal infection. I just had a hen with similar symptoms, runny droppings, yellow urates and no interest in food, standing around puffy and eyes closed. I dosed her with a drop or two of oil of oregano(from the capsule and the kind made for ingestion) from health food store mixed with enough water to dilute it(I read it is strong) for several days and also some garlic mixed with her water. I tube feed her plain yogurt and egg yolk for support. She is now eating again, so it seemed to work.

Thank you. I will try what you sugested and i also think it would be supporting if I give her Flagyl. I'm scared because i read that yellow urates could indicate a liver disease...

Thank you. I will try what you sugested and i also think it would be supporting if I give her Flagyl. I'm scared because i read that yellow urates could indicate a liver disease...
Yes,definitely try what Kathy and Nambroth have suggested,as both have had birds with similar symptoms and both give excellent advice. Since your girl just started with these symptoms about a month ago,there is a good chance this is what the issue is.

Update her condition so we know how she is doing.

Best wishes for your girl's speedy recovery.

~Mia

Last edited:
Thank you very much Mia for your support! Today I started the treatment and I'm very optimistic that Doris will be fine! For sure I will update her her condition ans I hope that I will give you only good news!

Feed and grains passing undigested could also mean it's not being ground up due to gizzard impactation. Try giving her tomato juice via eyedropper for a day and see if that helps clear it out. Otherwise I agree that it could be a bacterial problem.

Thank you. I'll try to give her some tomato juice but I should not giver her something else to eat that day?
I took a fecal exam but they don't discover to be something wrong. I gave her today Flagyl and I hope to see an improvement soon

yes, i gave her 1/2 pill today and I will continue the treatment for the next few days

They have horses in Romania, yes? lol. Find a place that sells horse feed and get some horse paste wormer with fenbendazole in it.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom