Please help me!!! my hen is lethargic with undigested grains and yellow urates in poop

Yes, but unfortunately they are not avian vets, they especially treat dogs and cats but I will ask him to try to do that.

Good luck with her. I truly hope the flagyl helps! Has it been very wet there lately, or has she gotten into something she should not have? Clostridium bacteria usually thrive best in wet conditions. The year my hen got clostridium it was very rainy and soggy and she must have eaten something she shouldn't have.
My hen also experienced gas-- yes, really! Flatulence. It was not the same as human gas, but caused her droppings to "spray" more than normal. Have you noticed this at all?

Yellow urates sometimes do mean liver problems. Can you tell us what her diet has been, long-term? What did she used to eat the most of? If you can't find what it is called, maybe you can find a photo of what the feed looks like.

Good luck. We are all rooting for you!!

I keep her in house as a pet and it wasn't stayed in wet conditions. All the summer we spent it at the country side and she stayed outside. Now she is in the house because is snow outside. I didn't noticed that she had flatulence but often I hear some sounds in her body.

She ate grains and commercial food for chickens. But every day I gave her treats like boiled potatoes, boiled meat(just a little bit, not much), cheese, yogurt, all kind of greens, fruits, vegetables and some kind of human food, but her diet was not based on these.

Last edited:
Hmm. It does not sound as if she would have picked up the bacteria easily, then. But, it is not impossible.

Her diet sounds good, and not too high in fat. Fatty diets can lead to liver problems.

I am sorry that her illness is such a mystery! :(

This is the second day with the treatment with Flagyl but I don't see any signs of improvement yet. the urates are yellow and the grains are undigested. I'll continue at least for tree of four days. In addition I gave her some tomato juice.

When I have treated for blackhead with Flagyl I don't usually see improvement until the second or third day. If she were mine I would not be feeding her anything but high protein crumbles and eggs.

-Kathy

Did you call the vet and ask about the wormer?

-Kathy
Yes, ROMBENDAZOL F. But she don't have worms because today I took the results of the poop examination(it was for parasites) and the result was negative. What are crumbles? I don't undestand what it means.

Back
Top Bottom