PLEASE HELP MY DUCKS ARE DYING

DuckPan

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Oklahoma Yee Hah
my ducks are dying i have about 30 now i had 33. 3 have died they were all looking fine then i went out their at noonish and one was dead the next day the same thing happened then 2 days later the 3rd one died. i have a feeling it was these little birds who are always playing in the water and food. I don't want to lose anymore. please help i will do anything to save my ducks. they were all muscovys who died. the bird i think is called a sparrow.

Last edited:
Kind of sounds to me like they got into something that may have poison them. Can you trace back to see if there has been any changes where they normally reside? If you have a run, I would place them in there, until you can figure out what is different. 3 healthy ducks in a row is not a normal thing. I hope no more die on you, I know how devastating it is. By the way I have hundreds of sparrows and they drink the same water as my chickens and eat from the same feeder, but I have not experience anything like this. Check for any unsuspecting object in your yard. I found in mine squash dropped by a flying bird, and my chickens were pecking at it. I had a chicken get sick and died after a couple of weeks. Whether it was the squash dropped in the yard, I don't know. I took her to the vet and they said, she was fighting an infection. It was a pretty penny, but I ruled out anything that could spread and killed the other chickens.
Sometimes flying birds, especially big ones that eat dead things, carry bacteria in their beak and when they drop what they have on their beak, that is also full of bacteria. It is the only advice I can give you. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Thank you but their has not been a single change in their pen or house. we have a net over the top of the run area. they don't leave the pen at all because of to many predators.

Thank you but their has not been a single change in their pen or house. we have a net over the top of the run area. they don't leave the pen at all because of to many predators.
How old are the ducklings and how large of a pen? do you have multiple feeders and water out for that large a group sometimes ducklings can get bullied out of feeder and die of starvation too. Are they old enough to be outside in winter?

Last edited:
All 8 of my Muscovys have died. They are all about one year old. I went out their this morning they were all cuddled up dead in their home. I have 22 khaki Campbell's and they are fine never had a single die.

All 8 of my Muscovys have died. They are all about one year old. I went out their this morning they were all cuddled up dead in their home. I have 22 khaki Campbell's and they are fine never had a single die.
I'm really sorry to hear that they all died. any sign of illness or pred attack?

I got them about 7 months ago from a lady 70 miles away I think i will call her and see if she is having any problems. Their is no chemicals around the area. Well their is a farm rail on the other side of out field. Which is about a quarter of a mile away. The khaki Campbell's are fine. I think it just something to do just with the muscovys and the sparrows but I'm not sure.

I'm really sorry to hear that they all died. any sign of illness or pred attack?
their wasent a attack I haven't let them out of the pen in 3 months because of predators they were just laying their dead. I have a friend who has 5 Muscovys 2 of his have died we use different feed we are trying to find out what is happening. And none of these deaths were from predators. Also I hand feed them most of the time I make sure every single one gets the right amount of food. I clean out the waterers every day I have 4 waterers. So bullying is out of the picture. I Just don't know what to do.

their wasent a attack I haven't let them out of the pen in 3 months because of predators they were just laying their dead. I have a friend who has 5 Muscovys 2 of his have died we use different feed we are trying to find out what is happening. And none of these deaths were from predators. Also I hand feed them most of the time I make sure every single one gets the right amount of food. I clean out the waterers every day I have 4 waterers. So bullying is out of the picture. I Just don't know what to do.
Call your county agent and ask where you can get a necropsy done, that is about the only way to find out what killed them, so you checked the feed for mold? Some universities will do Necropsy for free.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom