Please help my hen

3clucks

Chirping
Jul 11, 2018
Central Florida
Hi, I just purchased a buff laced polish hen today and she is very lethargic and not opening her eyes. The guy I got her from was selling her because the rooster he had for her was eaten by a predator. I thought initially she was just upset her mate was gone but I got her at 11:00 this afternoon and as I am writing this it is 3:30 and she hasn’t pooped at all. I have been syringe feeding her water every so often, I also gave her some scrambled eggs, yogurt, a very small amount of molasses and olive oil to help pass things through. According to the seller she also got pecked in the eye by one of his roosters, she occasionally opens them partially. I am at a loss as to what to do and really don’t want her to die, if anyone has any info it is greatly appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• 0BE5353C-9F68-4D54-ABC2-925387BF7A86.jpeg
    0BE5353C-9F68-4D54-ABC2-925387BF7A86.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 8
As of right now I have put sav-a-chick in her water and she is inside in a dog pen. And gave her an injection of LA200 (.2mL).

I have checked for an egg and she doesn’t appear to be egg bound, she is a little over a pound (she is a bantam, not sure what the normal weight is)

First thing to do is get her in a warm room and get her warmed up. One warm, examine her for lice, mites, injuries, swelling, etc. From there I would concentrate on getting fluids into her. No need for food, just fluids. Try to get 5-10 ml of warmed Pedialyte or Gatorade per 100 grams in her each day.

First thing to do is get her in a warm room and get her warmed up. One warm, examine her for lice, mites, injuries, swelling, etc. From there I would concentrate on getting fluids into her. No need for food, just fluids. Try to get 5-10 ml of warmed Pedialyte or Gatorade per 100 grams in her each day.

She doesn’t appear to have any injuries (besides the pecked eye) or mites/lice. I will start administering Gatorade. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom