Where did the quail come from?
Did you buy them from somebody or did you hatch them?

Hi all, I'd appreciate any advice anybody can give.
I have 12 quail and they are 2 weeks old now. It has all been going fine but today I noticed some are not thriving. There are 4 in the flock who have stopped being able to walk. they are just lying down and sleeping and when I put them on their feet, they can't use their legs properly and just stumble around falling over. One in particular seems it might die any moment. They are all being kept inside under a heat lamp and fed ground up game bird starter. The sick ones don't seem to be eating or drinking but I need to do more observation. The other 8 are all doing fine. I have separated the 4 sick ones for the moment. Please let me know if you have any experience with these symptoms, it's heartbreaking!
Get a A syringe fill a small bowl with water and a dash of sugar stir until dissolved and feed it to your quail, get your quail feed soak it in water until mushy and suck up with a syringe and feed them, this should help them get their energy fairly quickly, please keep me updated.

I'm not sure how to treat it if it is Coccidiosis. It seems for chickens you give them Amprolium but that is not effective for quail? I'm in Australia and I want to go to a shop today to get medication but I don't know where to get it. I called the vet and they said they don't have anything on hand for quail and would have to order it, taking up to a week so I'd rather order online myself with express shipping or go somewhere to pick it up. Coronavirus has slowed shipping so I'm worried about getting something in time. It's just not obvious to me what is used to treat this in quails and where you can get it from.

Hi all, I'd appreciate any advice anybody can give.
I have 12 quail and they are 2 weeks old now. It has all been going fine but today I noticed some are not thriving. There are 4 in the flock who have stopped being able to walk. they are just lying down and sleeping and when I put them on their feet, they can't use their legs properly and just stumble around falling over. One in particular seems it might die any moment. They are all being kept inside under a heat lamp and fed ground up game bird starter. The sick ones don't seem to be eating or drinking but I need to do more observation. The other 8 are all doing fine. I have separated the 4 sick ones for the moment. Please let me know if you have any experience with these symptoms, it's heartbreaking!
One of mine is acting very similarly right now. She's an auracauna chicken, much younger (under a week), but she's been droopy, lethargic, not walking well and doesn't seem to want to eat or drink. Considering it's four of yours I think it's a good idea to keep them seperate! Mine took warm sugar water from a spoon while I was holding her and it seemed like it helped a bit. She's also been drinking if I dip her beak in their waterer and she'll peck food off the ground where the others have scraped it- maybe try giving them food in front of them rather than a tin or feeder? It's not the most sanitary for them, I know, but hopefully it'll at least get them to eat something. I'm trying to figure out what it is- if I find anything I'll be sure to come back and let you know. I really hope yours pull through!

I'm not sure how to treat it if it is Coccidiosis. It seems for chickens you give them Amprolium but that is not effective for quail? I'm in Australia and I want to go to a shop today to get medication but I don't know where to get it. I called the vet and they said they don't have anything on hand for quail and would have to order it, taking up to a week so I'd rather order online myself with express shipping or go somewhere to pick it up. Coronavirus has slowed shipping so I'm worried about getting something in time. It's just not obvious to me what is used to treat this in quails and where you can get it from.
Amprolium... Your vet can't get you some?

They don't make something specifically for quail.
Call your vet back and ask for Coccivet or Baycox.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't know if you are going to be able to buy anything from a shop... You might only be able to get it from a vet.

Do you have a thermometer to measure the temperature?

What is the temp under the light?
It's 30 C under the lamp at the moment. I move it up or down depending on the ambient temp and their sitting habits. If they trying to sit further away, I move the light higher/further and if they are huddling directly under, I'll move it lower/closer.

Back
Top Bottom