Please help! Two criticaly injured hens from fox bite!

Teacosy

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
Please help me! I rescued 6 battery hens yesterday to add to my flock of four other rescue hens. This morning I went to let them out of the coop as per usual and found two hens missing, a heap of feathers everywhere, one dead hen, one hen slumped under the roost and all the rest of my poor traumatized hens. The fox had somehow ripped the mesh off the door and had a bit of a party.
One of my girls has a pretty horrific wound to her neck and cant stand or hold up her head but has been drinking water and had a few nibbles at her food. The other injured girl has been bitten on her back, she can still walk but sounds as though she is gurgling (like fluid in the lungs) she has eaten a small amount but has not drunk anything. Both girls are tucked up in my laundry now in dark cubbies. I have put iodine on both of their wounds, is their anything else I should do??? Will they survive? Please help!!

You may want to bandage the wounds after flushing them with water and adding neosporin. You should bring the hurt chickens inside and make sure they get water with electrolytes in it. I wouldn't stress them by force feeding them, but if all else fails you may have to tube feed. Still, you should wait on that, your chickens will be fine for a day or so without eating assuming that they survive. Good luck!

Last edited:
Well it is hard to see, but it looks okay, many chooks have survived much worse, but you must be extremely vigilant about not letting the wound become infected. Predator bites are horrible. Also, try feeding your birds scrambled eggs, tuna, etc., to keep their strength up. I hope your birds survive!

Well it is hard to see, but it looks okay, many chooks have survived much worse, but you must be extremely vigilant about not letting the wound become infected. Predator bites are horrible. Also, try feeding your birds scrambled eggs, tuna, etc., to keep their strength up. I hope your birds survive!

How often should I clean their wounds? The poor girl with the bitten neck isn't looking to good :( I will try them with some tuna in an hour.

Back
Top Bottom