PLEASE HELP! Unexpected Chicken Death! Warning: Chicken Death Photos

HappyChicken2244

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
Hello everyone, I am absolutely heart broken this morning. I just got two young Polish Pullets on July9th. Suspected age orotund 7-12 weeks old. They have been in a separate run while I integrate them in my flock. This morning, Ebony (one of the Polish Pullets) was found dead in the coop. Both Pullets sleep in a separate coop with Easter Egger pullets around the same age. There is one young Maran rooster in the coop but he is very young and so far not aggressive. The only other chicken in the coop is a 20 week old Ameraucana who had to be placed with the little guys because she is so docile and lower on the pecking order. I am freaking out, Ebony appeared to be healthy and was eating well. Her sister Ivory seems fine. I don’t know if the other chickens killed her or if she was sick. Upon examining the body, Ebony seemed very wet but this could be because for the younger chickens I still keep a small bowl of water for them in the coop at night and the other chickens walking around/on her body. I don’t see any obvious blood or peck marks on her. I am still fairly new to chicken keeping and this is my first death. I am terrified that if she was sick it will spread through my flock. Everyone else appears to be healthy. Please help!!

Update: Ivory the other Polish is now not wanting to eat and is walking slower. I don’t know if this is because she is sick or if she is traumatized. Ebony and Ivory were bonded.

Attachments

• B303329C-5B9C-405A-89E0-9FD62CC0EBC2.jpeg
    B303329C-5B9C-405A-89E0-9FD62CC0EBC2.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 121
  • C91F8DBE-FC70-49AB-94DC-53AE48B53EF6.jpeg
    C91F8DBE-FC70-49AB-94DC-53AE48B53EF6.jpeg
    720.2 KB · Views: 21
  • BBFC7EC1-4B3C-4795-8B2B-D5AA0D63D024.jpeg
    BBFC7EC1-4B3C-4795-8B2B-D5AA0D63D024.jpeg
    743.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I am so very sorry for your loss! :(

I would examine the bedding for any possible bloody poop.

If not, how low did the temperature get that night?
Maybe she had gotten too wet and cold?

I'd examine the whole Flock individually to see if anyone looks abnormal, also.

Sending hugs! ❤️

I am so very sorry for your loss! :(

I would examine the bedding for any possible bloody poop.

If not, how low did the temperature get that night?
Maybe she had gotten too wet and cold?

I'd examine the whole Flock individually to see if anyone looks abnormal, also.

Sending hugs! ❤️
Thank you. Just cleaned out the bedding and there is no bloody poop. The temperature last night where I’m at was in the high 70s. Do you think it was too hot? During the day they get a fan in their run. Their run is also half shaded. I made sure the coop has a lot of ventilation covered with hardware cloth.

I'm so sorry for your loss. 😢 Can you give Ivory some raw yolk and watermelon to whet her appetite? Keep an eye on her. I would also brew a strong cup of echinacea tea and put it in their water, when they're stressed their immune systems crash and then they could get a higher worm load which could lead to myriad of issues.

If you feel up to it, you could cut into Ebony's cavity and post pictures here. Maybe we could see what was wrong from her organs.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t Polish chickens have vaulted skulls? If one of other chickens pecked her in the coop, could a peck to the head cause her to die suddenly like this?

Back
Top Bottom