TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
I just bought these babies & this one has a serious spot on it! I thought it was poopy butt, but when I actually got in there I saw the poor thing has (what looks to be) a scab!

This particular baby has been very sleepy. I chalked it up to being, well, a baby. It eats, drinks & runs around for a bit, but usually is off standing by itself nodding off.

What could this be?! How can I help this baby?! 😫

Attachments

• 20220430_114319.jpg
    20220430_114319.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220430_114336.jpg
    20220430_114336.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220430_114316.jpg
    20220430_114316.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 2
I just bought these babies & this one has a serious spot on it! I thought it was poopy butt, but when I actually got in there I saw the poor thing has (what looks to be) a scab!

This particular baby has been very sleepy. I chalked it up to being, well, a baby. It eats, drinks & runs around for a bit, but usually is off standing by itself nodding off.

What could this be?! How can I help this baby?! 😫
I'm almost positive that's the belly button and that's just the scab from the cord.

I'm almost positive that's the belly button and that's just the scab from the cord.
Really?! 😐 Now I feel like an idiot! 🤣🤣🤣 I just want to make sure that all my chickens are comfortable, happy & healthy! lol

Thank you for commenting & putting my mind at ease a bit!

If you are concerned about infection, you can put a dollop of triple antibiotic (without pain reliever) on it. That should dry up and fall off in a couple days, but looks like the squirt might have snagged it on something, making it bleed more than usual... hence the very noticeable scab.

If you are concerned about infection, you can put a dollop of triple antibiotic (without pain reliever) on it. That should dry up and fall off in a couple days, but looks like the squirt might have snagged it on something, making it bleed more than usual... hence the very noticeable scab.
I will definitely put some cream on it! Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it! 👍🏻

I agree.

Really?! 😐 Now I feel like an idiot!
I would not have expected chicks to have belly buttons, since they are not connected to their mother while they grow-- but it turns out they are connected to some stuff inside their egg. I was quite surprised when I first learned that!

Back
Top Bottom