Please Please HELP - Pecking problem

Meggnar

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2018
Orange County, CA
PLEASE PLEASE HELP! First time chicken owner and am doing the best I can.

I adopted 2 silkies (11 months old - same age as my current girls) and introduced them to my current flock of 4, 1 month ago. My russian orloff has been going after them but particularly one. The first week we monitored heavily and used a squirt gun ( I introduced them over course of week, they were in a sepearte cage in coop for first 3 days). It seemed the majority of it was chasing with little contact. The past few weeks it has been much much better.

2 days ago I walked out in the morning and noticed a patch of feathers missing from her neck, skin exposed and what seemed like a bug goose bump. I was so concerned and confused. It seemed everything was almost normal. So I immediately ordered pick no more (I already have blue cote but since she is a silkie with black skin I didn't think the color would help detour). I monitored her yesterday and no further damage, ointment arrived last night. I put it on first thing this morning.

I got home today after work and heard some noise and looked out to see my russian orloff on top of silkie grabbing her neck. I went outside to see if she was ok and noticed the gash. Now im panicked.

How do I clean it, how do I treat it?
Can this be solved or do I have to get rid of one?
She is currently removed and in a separate cage.
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG

6 total - I originally 4 girls (easter egger, barred rock, orphington and russian orloff) and then adopted the 2 silkies a month ago.
Looks like he picked this silkie to be his favorite.
It's highly likely something like this will happen again.

What would you do? Remove the silkie or remove the orloff. Even though I have had the orloff longer she has been difficult. The silkies are paired and feel bad removing one. I think I would have to adopt them both out.

I have heard that as soon as blood is drawn you have to remove the chicken so they arent pecked to death (which I did). My only concern is will others pick at her if I remove the other. Or as long as she heals completely it shouldn't be a problem. I really haven't seen any of the other girls touch her.

I have heard that as soon as blood is drawn you have to remove the chicken so they arent pecked to death (which I did). My only concern is will others pick at her if I remove the other. Or as long as she heals completely it shouldn't be a problem. I really haven't seen any of the other girls touch her.
You did right be removing her quickly.
They will all start picking at her wound, do not put her back until she is fully healed and not until you are able to sit and watch for a long time.
They may not accept her back.

Here I come with an unpopular answer. I would knock the head off that rooster. He needs killed. Don’t rehome that rooster. You would just be giving a terrible rooster to someone else to deal with.
Wait are these all hens? Or is one a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom