Please say this normal?

Welp, watching this video and taking it are soo different with ADHD. Lol. JUST HOLD STILL.
Cold near frozen eggs need time to come out of the stuper they are in, so some may be behind in development, or all of them. I wouldn't make a decision either way yet on this egg. It looks to me like it's trying to grow and quit at the same time. (It could be on its way to quitting) Sometimes they look really funky during the growth stages, if you can see any veins at all, and remember veins are squiggly narrow things, not long thick like blood rings, then Id keep going with it. If it moves with bright light, it's still going. If parts of the egg look globby, separated and dark, veins pull away from edges and it's shrinking, it's dead. Do you have a photo from today for compariso

There is movement... but, to me, these look like roundworms. The other eggs have veins with branches. These things look long and, well.. like worms. Are that many large veins outside the chick's body normally?

As far as the 2nd air bubble, I think that's just fluid. If you've never looked at eggs through a phone, I'd say try it. I can't see into my dark eggs without looking through my phone camera.

I feel like they should be farther along at this point but I'm also a first timer. Some are also WAY bigger than others, but little guys are moving. Does the freezing temp (before I got them) affect their growth or cause complications?
Thank you all for your help.. and for the warm welcome!
Please do not dispose it! It may just be an older egg because I have had eggs looking similar. So do not worry too much a out it. I mean I’m no professional but I have bred chickens and hatched eggs so yeah.

Welp, watching this video and taking it are soo different with ADHD. Lol. JUST HOLD STILL.
Actually looks really good! I didn’t know it was moving, it was either a really bad egg or a really good egg as it had really thick veins which made it look confusing, but looks really good and going to hatch soon like everyone else is saying

It's siblings don't seem as developed.... but also probably normal? Sorry for all the questions.
I see a vein on that one, looks good. If they were all put in at the same time then they should all hatch within 3 days of each other. Though looking at the video now it does look a lot further behind. Keep an eye on this one, it might be in the process of dying.

Cold near frozen eggs need time to come out of the stuper they are in, so some may be behind in development, or all of them. I wouldn't make a decision either way yet on this egg. It looks to me like it's trying to grow and quit at the same time. (It could be on its way to quitting) Sometimes they look really funky during the growth stages, if you can see any veins at all, and remember veins are squiggly narrow things, not long thick like blood rings, then Id keep going with it. If it moves with bright light, it's still going. If parts of the egg look globby, separated and dark, veins pull away from edges and it's shrinking, it's dead. Do you have a photo from today for comparison?
You said some may be behind in development.. so how do I know when to stop messing with them... from what I've read, on day 18 I should leave them alone.. but if behind, do I still need to be turning them?

You said some may be behind in development.. so how do I know when to stop messing with them... from what I've read, on day 18 I should leave them alone.. but if behind, do I still need to be turning them?
Here is a diagram of the air cell that should give you some idea of the growth you should see inside the egg. Day 18, technically being lockdown day, if yours are behind in development, when they all get close to this diagrams day 18, you need to go into lockdown. Eggs can stop being turned at day 15 if some are that far behind.

hredirect2.gif

Here is a diagram of the air cell that should give you some idea of the growth you should see inside the egg. Day 18, technically being lockdown day, if yours are behind in development, when they all get close to this diagrams day 18, you need to go into lockdown. Eggs can stop being turned at day 15 if some are that far behind.

View attachment 3707574
Oh my. I have a tiny 8 egg incubator and the air cells all range from day 14- 18. Am I doing something wrong here? And will I need to remove the hatched chicks and put them in the brooder? I can't see much more fitting in the incubator. Also, if some are that far behind, the ones hatched would be cramped in there for a couple days if not removed. Realizing I still have so much left to learn.

Oh my. I have a tiny 8 egg incubator and the air cells all range from day 14- 18. Am I doing something wrong here? And will I need to remove the hatched chicks and put them in the brooder? I can't see much more fitting in the incubator. Also, if some are that far behind, the ones hatched would be cramped in there for a couple days if not removed. Realizing I still have so much left to learn.
Since these eggs started out so cold, there is no doubt some farther behind, similar to a staggered hatch, some will need lockdown sooner than others. Not the best scenario but these things happen!

If these were my eggs, with ranges of 14-18 days, I'd wait one more day and tomorrow put them all on lockdown. I would candle each egg to make sure it's alive and with a pencil, draw the air cell outline onnthe eggs. Turn off or remove the egg turners and lay down that rubber shelf liner with the tiny holes and put all the eggs on it so you can see the air cells for pipping, and close the lid. Get the humidity up around 60% to 65%, it can take several hours to do so, if needed, add a small cup filled with water and a damp piece of a new kitchen sponge to put in this cup to raise humidity if needed. You should never open the lid if there is external pipping in any egg as the loss of moisture from opening the lid can dry out the chick and it will stick to the shell and die. We can worry about hatched and unhatched later. But for now, this should be the plan. :)

will I need to remove the hatched chicks and put them in the brooder? I can't see much more fitting in the incubator.
In general, leave chicks in the incubator until they are dry and fluffy.
After that, you can take them out or you can leave them for another day or two.

If there are some hatched chicks and some pipped eggs, leave the chicks in, and do not open the incubator. (If the same eggs are pipped for 24+ hours without hatching, start researching "assisted hatching.")

If there are some hatched chicks, and they are all dry and fluffy, and you cannot see any pipped eggs, that would be a good time to open the incubator and take out all the chicks. Then close it up again, and wait a few more days to see if any of the remaining eggs are going to be late hatchers.

If you need to know about assisted hatching, this article is good:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
But assisting too soon can kill the chick, so give them plenty of time to hatch by themselves before you even think about assisting. They tend to pip, then wait a long time (sometimes 24 hours) while they finish absorbing the yolk, before they finish hatching.

Back
Top Bottom