Please someone help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ploptheduck, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Ploptheduck

Ploptheduck In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2018
    I have NEVER incubated anything, but the other day I found a duck egg all alone under a tree. It was cold when I picked it up, but I didn't want to risk it being alive so I grabbed it. Anyway, I candled it as soon as I got home, and it was completely clear with kind of a thicker part in the middle. I have been trying to incubate it under a heat lamp... I just make sure that its 99 degrees and keep some wet maxi pads in the box to keep humidity up. I just candled it again(on day 10), and now I see something floating around inside, but no veins. The mass floats around when I rotate the egg, but does not move on its own. Does this mean that it's a bad egg, or is there any chance that something is developing/could develop? It isn't black, and the egg smells fine and still has it's air cell intact. Do you always see distinct veins when candling? or has anyone had an experience like this? I'm deciding to keep incubating it until about day 20 just in case, but I'll be candling it every 3 days just to make sure it's progressing... Any advice would help. Also, just to give location, I live in the humid south and found it where a lot of Muscovy ducks live, but there are also a few pekin that live there too and also a few mallards... I'll upload a picture of day 1 and then what I see now. IMG_2385-1.jpeg IMG_2424.jpeg

Miss Lydia and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If there are no veins, I would say that egg is not viable. I think what you're seeing is the yolk floating around. I'd dispose of it before it explodes in your house.

3. Ploptheduck

Apr 25, 2018
    thanks so much for the advice, i really appreciate it

4. blayt90

blayt90 Crowing

Jan 11, 2018
    Magee, Mississippi
    My Coop
    I agree with this..:highfive::goodpost:

Ducksandchickens and Ploptheduck like this.
  5. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Free Ranging

Apr 24, 2018
    North Western Ohio
    Dispose of it. If it was abandoned then the mother must of known it was infertile

Ploptheduck likes this.
  6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

so... the 2 photos above are from the day you found it... and day what?

7. Ploptheduck

Apr 25, 2018
    day 1 is the whiter egg and day 10 is the egg thats glowing orange

8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I was going to say if that was day 3, might be fine... but yeah, by day 10 there should be clear veins. :confused:

Ploptheduck and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: