Ploptheduck

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2018
I have NEVER incubated anything, but the other day I found a duck egg all alone under a tree. It was cold when I picked it up, but I didn't want to risk it being alive so I grabbed it. Anyway, I candled it as soon as I got home, and it was completely clear with kind of a thicker part in the middle. I have been trying to incubate it under a heat lamp... I just make sure that its 99 degrees and keep some wet maxi pads in the box to keep humidity up. I just candled it again(on day 10), and now I see something floating around inside, but no veins. The mass floats around when I rotate the egg, but does not move on its own. Does this mean that it's a bad egg, or is there any chance that something is developing/could develop? It isn't black, and the egg smells fine and still has it's air cell intact. Do you always see distinct veins when candling? or has anyone had an experience like this? I'm deciding to keep incubating it until about day 20 just in case, but I'll be candling it every 3 days just to make sure it's progressing... Any advice would help. Also, just to give location, I live in the humid south and found it where a lot of Muscovy ducks live, but there are also a few pekin that live there too and also a few mallards... I'll upload a picture of day 1 and then what I see now. IMG_2385-1.jpeg IMG_2424.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom