poll: are you legal or an outlaw?

My girls are illegal. the city I live in Surrey, BC Canada was going to read a change to the by-laws but it got delayed and then cancelled. Alas I had my birds by then in antipation of the change. In Vancouver you can keep 3 hens ( no roosters) in your backyard. I am following the rules suggested by Vancouver city hall but I birds are not registered in case of a cull.
sad.png

Legal, but I live in Tennessee and I can't even get an answer from government about a permit to raise quail. I guess nobody cares what you do.

I'm a bit of both. I think. On the one hand, Ohio state law makes it illegal for me to have chickens where I live. But, the same section of the state code also states that townships can choose to allow chickens. Where I live, the township has not passed an ordinance to allow chickens. Therefore, it is illegal and the state could seize my flock. However, they cannot do that unless the township initiates the process. Because the township does not and "cannot" (for some reason...that's a quote from the commissioner, something to do with a charter) initiate the process, by default chickens in my back yard are OK yet illegal.

If you're confused, that makes 2 of us! You should have heard the phone conversation I had with the zoning commissioner. He was very helpful in helping me understand this in a careful, fence-sitting kind of way. He never did say 'yes, it's OK,' he just explained the above to me each time I asked the question.

Back
Top Bottom