*POLL*What do you consider too much money for a chick ?

*POLL* Would you pay "top dollar" for a chick? If so, what would be your limit?

• Total voters
Pics
I normally pay $3-$4 per chick, but recently, I bought two chicks for $30 each. They are Ayam Cemani chicks. I’ve seen them advertised online anywhere from $50 each up to $200 each. Most required a minimum order. My wife thinks I’m crazy for purchasing them at that price, but now we have two of the rarest chickens in the world. No regrets here.

I normally pay $3-$4 per chick, but recently, I bought two chicks for $30 each. They are Ayam Cemani chicks. I’ve seen them advertised online anywhere from $50 each up to $200 each. Most required a minimum order. My wife thinks I’m crazy for purchasing them at that price, but now we have two of the rarest chickens in the world. No regrets here.
The lady that sells chicks close to where I live charges 50 each so you got a good deal. 😁

I was willing to pay $40/chick for a Mauve Orpington that had been hatched by Mauves that lay pink eggs. I live in a neighborhood and can’t have many chickens, I love Orpingtons, and think pink eggs are awesome and unusual. Seemed worth the bet for what I wanted! But the breeder has gotten bored with pink eggs and is moving on to lavender and needs some different stock so she sold me one chick if I took a bunch of mutt chicks off her hands (she won’t keep any mixes and her hen got busy while she was on vacation!) for half price ;-) so I got 10 chicks instead of one haha. Gonna obviously rehome the boys (odds are at least half are) and if I have to, sell a couple when they’re pullets. She got rid of 9 chicks she didn’t want, I got some BEAUTIFUL Cochin-marans mixes, and a possible pink laying hen. Everyone wins :)

No chick is worth $20 to me, and there are no lower sum options in the poll. Maybe if I was into fancy breed breeding and got my hands on a rare specimen… I can see how I may want to pay… But I’m not in that position, so that’s not applicable to me. Also, I would just never buy chicks, period, so the question is even less relevant to me. Hatching is half the fun, so why miss out on that? Also, I’d be worried about biosecurity bringing new birds to my flock. If I want more chickens, I hatch them myself. The most I’ve paid was $7/egg to hatch on my own. I’d pay up to $10/egg for a small number of eggs if it’s a breed I really want. But that’s

I agree with the hatching being 1/2 the fun. I did buy some Whyndotts and golden maran eggs. I paid $15 for a dozen. That's the most I've paid for an egg/chick.

Imagine being born a chicken and your life is only worth a few bucks. What a sobering thought ...
Well, no. It costs a few bucks to buy an egg or a chicken. The real worth of that life is what happens after. Consider a chick conceived and hatched at home in the flock. It costs 0 bucks, but if you invest in its care and it lives a long, happy life, its life is actually worth a lot (in terms of your lifelong investment in it - money, labor, time, love). It cost you nothing to acquire, but its life is worth a lot more than that of a chicken somebody pays lots of money for, but then neglects or mismanages or butchers too soon.

Likewise, IVF or adopted kids are very expensive to acquire. Mine cost me nothing to create. But that doesn’t make their lives less worthy than those of the expensive kids 😄

Worth can be found in different places (if that makes you feel better).

Back
Top Bottom