Pomeranian Goose Breed Thread

Pics
You bet!!!! They are the orchard bosses. They have a lot of clout around here. They are what makes us organic. I am planning to get some Cotton Patch geese as well from Aurora Springs next spring. I got two of the most precious American goslings from her today. They follow us everywhere. They are quite entertaining. Our ducks and geese even boss the dogs around. You should see it!
lau.gif

January
Well, it sounds like the acres and the geese are worth a visit. Let me turn on the charm and see if I can get an invite down the road.... warning, I come with children who are often not as easy to herd as geese. They don't leave wet ones in the lawn though.
Anyway, to date, I have hatched 28 Buff Pom goslings and 8 Toulouse Pom crosses. I have about 15 eggs remaining in the incubator and two in the hatcher right now. So, I should be able to fill my orders and still manage to keep a few. I grew out the first 6 I hatched and only kept one of them: It has nearly perfect markings, but not the best bill and leg color.

I would love to talk more about SOP qualities in our birds. I am admittedly new to keep Poms so there's lots to learn and pics help best.

Well, it sounds like the acres and the geese are worth a visit. Let me turn on the charm and see if I can get an invite down the road.... warning, I come with children who are often not as easy to herd as geese. They don't leave wet ones in the lawn though.

I would love to talk more about SOP qualities in our birds. I am admittedly new to keep Poms so there's lots to learn and pics help best.

I actually had a good discussion earlier this spring with an APA judge about that. In his eyes, the most important thing is the lobe being single, then he worries about the rest.
Have you purchased a SOP from the APA yet?

So, even though these are all being sold (20 going to the same home next week) I wanted to show some of my gosling crop from this year.

Gosh 75 posts since I last stopped by the thread. Sorry to have been a stranger: It has been a REALLY busy spring! I had a ton of goslings ordered this year-32 to be exact, on top of the hatching egg waiting list I had coming into the season.

Most of my flock were first year layers, so fertility was iffy for a while. Also, they started laying late and quit early this year: Most likely due to the very odd weather we've had....just couldn't decide if it was winter, spring, or summer.

Anyway, to date, I have hatched 28 Buff Pom goslings and 8 Toulouse Pom crosses. I have about 15 eggs remaining in the incubator and two in the hatcher right now. So, I should be able to fill my orders and still manage to keep a few. I grew out the first 6 I hatched and only kept one of them: It has nearly perfect markings, but not the best bill and leg color.

Anyway, I just thought I would check in and say hello to all the new folks on here! I will see about getting some photos of all the little ones (20 goslings and juveniles) that are leaving for their new home next week.
Welcome back...and yes, it has been busy!

lau.gif
I could use some extra herders! Thankfully Mrs. Magoo just reminded me that I need to get my book ordered. On what we were talking about with the organic thing and the birds being the orchard bosses...they are responsible for the fertilizing and weed and grazing work. They are pretty much royalty around here, and they know it. Egotistical kids.

I actually had a good discussion earlier this spring with an APA judge about that. In his eyes, the most important thing is the lobe being single, then he worries about the rest.

So, even though these are all being sold (20 going to the same home next week) I wanted to show some of my gosling crop from this year.

Pretty Kids, Mrs. Magoo...pretty kids!

Pretty Kids, Mrs. Magoo...pretty kids!

I'm going to miss the pitter patter of all the little feet out there.
hit.gif
I have an old iron rocking chair up by their pond and sit up there and watch them in the early afternoon: It is great watching all the babies diving in the pond and taking their baths. It really is my favorite time of year around here.

However, my feed bill and husband won't miss the crowd. I also hatched some ducks for members of my show club that should be going to their new home soon as well: A couple Cayugas and some gold phase Welsh Harlequins. Out of ALL the goslings out there, I have only selected 3 so far to continue raising based on body, markings, and bill/leg coloration. Sadly, the one with the BEST markings (almost no white where it shouldn't be and sufficient buff everywhere it should be) and a single lobe is too orange in the bill. I am keeping him though, since he is better than at least one of my adult ganders.

I am also selling two juvenile females that are poorly marked to a local lady for pets tomorrow. Between them, the ducks, and the 20 goslings leaving, that should free up a LOT of room in my juvenile coop. Plus, make it so I don't have to clean it out every single day, which is necessary with 36 younguns in there!

Now if I could just get the darned chickens to hurry up and grow so I can sort through them: I have around 200 growing out right now to get the breeders and show birds for this season: It is baby madness here!

I'm going to miss the pitter patter of all the little feet out there.
hit.gif
I have an old iron rocking chair up by their pond and sit up there and watch them in the early afternoon: It is great watching all the babies diving in the pond and taking their baths. It really is my favorite time of year around here.

However, my feed bill and husband won't miss the crowd. I also hatched some ducks for members of my show club that should be going to their new home soon as well: A couple Cayugas and some gold phase Welsh Harlequins. Out of ALL the goslings out there, I have only selected 3 so far to continue raising based on body, markings, and bill/leg coloration. Sadly, the one with the BEST markings (almost no white where it shouldn't be and sufficient buff everywhere it should be) and a single lobe is too orange in the bill. I am keeping him though, since he is better than at least one of my adult ganders.

I am also selling two juvenile females that are poorly marked to a local lady for pets tomorrow. Between them, the ducks, and the 20 goslings leaving, that should free up a LOT of room in my juvenile coop. Plus, make it so I don't have to clean it out every single day, which is necessary with 36 younguns in there!

Now if I could just get the darned chickens to hurry up and grow so I can sort through them: I have around 200 growing out right now to get the breeders and show birds for this season: It is baby madness here!
Baby madness here too! I have six yelling at me right now...spoiled kids!

lau.gif
I could use some extra herders! Egotistical kids.
The geese or my kids because herding either one is a job and my kids (like most these days) seem to have eaten their fill of ego in their fructose laced cereal.

Good news; Calliope is FINALLY sitting her nest! Gosh I never thought she would. Now to cross my fingers and hope she hatches a few. I know there is some fertility because I snatched a few eggs earlier to put in the bator and there is at least one developing. They are in there with a few colored Seb eggs, none labeled. They should hatch a week or two ahead of hers. I wonder if she will raise them all? Thoughts? I have also been told I should take her goslings for about a week or two so they are human-friendly/tolerant. Again... thoughts?

Taking the goslings is a very good idea because then you can socialize them with the human touch and they respond better to the human. If you let the parents raise them from the start they fear humans and go wild and not like to be handled. That is my view on it. I always raise mine for 2 to 3 weeks with human touch. Then introduce them to their parents. The parents will be thrilled to get them back.
I know my ganders and several females are great with taking new goslings even if they are not their own....
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom