Pool Side Manners

I have one in particular that likes to stand in water at times. Most of the chickens I've heard of that like to go in water just like to wade in it, getting their feet and lower legs wet. Something with low sides is good, that's easy for them to step into and get out of, with shallow water in it. Ducks are swimmers, chickens are waders.

Quote:
I once had a chicken that swam in the swimming pool. I didn't even know chicken could swim.

Now, we only had one chicken at the time (others died) and had an injured wild duck as well, and the duck swam in the pool, so I'm sure that's where the chicken got the idea.

But watching a chicken swim around like a duck was exceedingly odd, but some will swim.

My chickens love the hose - I just turn it on very low and let it run on the ground (sand for us). Chicks on up to adults - will run over to stand in the flowing/puddling water. They like to pick/peck whatever floats across the top, and sometimes I throw their scratch out in it for them to peck at.

A few of mine also sand in the water bowls/small pools that the ducks have.

Put some frozen bottles of water in their run. I save juice bottles, fill them with water and put them in the shade. Several of the pullets stand on them or lean on them. I also have a shallow dish of water than one LOVES to soak her feet in and I feed them watermelon (which they love) when it's super fantastic hot. I'm in TX so it's really hot pretty often. I just posted a few pics of the chicks on ,y blog. There's a link at the bottom of this post so you can see the bottles and the dish. Good luck!

Adult birds are completely fine with the ridgid plastic kiddie pools- Been using them for years. Once the chickens are 4 months or so they have no problems with perching on the top and getting a drink.

I keep the shallow black rubber "bowls" half full of water for chicks to get drinks out of.

I freeze empty 2 liter bottles. In the afternoon I will put it in their water to cool them down on hot days.

we tried a shallow pan, and a guinea pig cage bottom. They will drink out of it, but will not go in it. They will even jump up on the edge of the cage, but will NOT go in it. My husband ended up digging a hole in the corner of the run, lined it with rocks and fills it with water. We have fresh water from the hose going in one end, and water exits out the other. It is only 1-2" deep, but they love standing in it. It is easy for them to wade into. The water stays cool all day, even though that part of the run gets lots of sun.

Back
Top Bottom