poopy butts

QuinnP

Songster
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Oregon
since Arlo is unable to move his legs, whenever he poops it sticks to his little rear. (hot dogs I learned, cause the hershey squirts.) He absolutely hates having the poop washed off even tho I warm up the baby wipes so as not to chill his little skin. A few times when he does it at night its clumped in the morning & takes several minutes to clean off with him flailing & squawking the whole time. Any advice? Somehow I always end up laying on the poop.............

do chickens pee? I've never known Arlo to piddle. My tortoise does

Yeah but not liquid
wink.png

How old is Arlo? Are we talking a few days old? Or is Arlo a full-grown chicken?

Either way, maybe butt-washing time for Arlo would be less uncomfortable if you were to use a wash basin filled with warm water and children's bubble-bath wash. I discovered this wonderful bathing liguid fifty years ago when my kids were babies. You can soak your human or chicken critters clean without needing to bother to rinse.

The way I do crusty butts is I back the chicken up to the basin of bubble-bath, holding its head under my left arm then gently splash the warm water onto the crusty area until the crust softens. It's easy then to just pull it off with your fingers. Towel or blow-dry. My chickens all get needed "tune-ups" every so often when the rumble-seat appears a bit heavy with extra baggage. No one complains.

Use the same approach for washing mud or poop encrusted feet. There's something benign about being backed up to the bath that chickens generally accept.

Arlo is almost a year old,. He was born spraddled with terribly curled toes. One of his legs is twisted like a V underneath him, & the other sticks straight out.

I will try the backing up method! What a great idea!

I've just been plucking my Buff Orp -- once the feathers are off she doesn't get dirty any more, but that may not be an option for Arlo.

Didn't someone here rig a sling for an injured rooster? A sling for Arlo, with open space near his vent, would allow the droppings to... well... drop.

I was worried that plucking a butt would hurt him.

(he's very spoiled. unless he's plopped on my lap he isn't happy.)
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom