Poor people at the fair getting confused by chicken terminology XD

sounds like my dad. a few months ago, I was looking at some fancy breeds of roosters (I think phonix, or whatever it is that has that beautiful tail that drags on the ground). Dad asked if that was a rooster or a chicken.
he also once thought that worms were not animals 🤦‍♀️

Horse terminology just as bad!
Horse can be a stud horse (male), but male horses are generally called colts up to 5 yrs of age, or stud colt if not gelded.
Once gelded is is gelding no matter the age.
Males over 5yrs are called stallions.
Mares are over the age of 5yrs? And under 5 they are fillies. Even if they produce a foal.
A foal covers both male (colt) and females (filly). Foals are under 1 yr of age.

Yearlings are either colts or fillies 😊

Personally I just call them all hay burners and lawn ornaments!
15D36F88-CAE6-4B20-8957-1F7D9D736D9F.jpeg

Horse can be a stud horse (male), but male horses are generally called colts up to 5 yrs of age, or stud colt if not gelded.
Mares are over the age of 5yrs? And under 5 they are fillies. Even if they produce a foal.
A foal covers both male (colt) and females (filly). Foals are under 1 yr of age.

View attachment 3318040
I am going to bookmark this lol. Never learned the terminology for horses. What other animals do you know of?
I believe for turkeys the babies are poults, the young males are jakes(dont know age range), adult males are toms, and adult females are hens? Something along those lines? I personally don't know. Now chickens, they are my specialty. lol.

View attachment 3318040
That's so helpful! Now I will be able to converse with my horse friends without embarrassing myself as much :lol:
I had no idea they were called colts and fillys until they're five years old! Well, I didn't know most of that but that was the most surprising fact ;)

Back
Top Bottom