Poor people at the fair getting confused by chicken terminology XD

I am going to bookmark this lol. Never learned the terminology for horses. What other animals do you know of?
I believe for turkeys the babies are poults, the young males are jakes(dont know age range), adult males are toms, and adult females are hens? Something along those lines? I personally don't know. Now chickens, they are my specialty. lol.
These are poultry terms according to the American Standard Of Perfection:

Young turkeys are poults until you can tell their gender, and then they are called toms and hens. They are sometimes unofficially called jakes and jennys.

Geese are called ganders, geese (yeah weird, a female goose is just a goose), and goslings.

Ducks are called drakes, ducks (like the geese), and ducklings. The female ducks are also unofficially called hens.

Guinea Fowl are cocks, cockerels, hens, and pullets like chickens but their babies are called keets.

Pigeons are cocks, hens, and squabs.

These are poultry terms according to the American Standard Of Perfection:

Young turkeys are poults until you can tell their gender, and then they are called toms and hens. They are sometimes unofficially called jakes and jennys.

Geese are called ganders, geese (yeah weird, a female goose is just a goose), and goslings.

Ducks are called drakes, ducks (like the geese), and ducklings. The female ducks are also unofficially called hens.

Guinea Fowl are cocks, cockerels, hens, and pullets like chickens but their babies are called keets.

Pigeons are cocks, hens, and squabs.
Thanks, this is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom