Possible emergency;

@Goosebaby oh shoot WELL I got one into her tonight!!! I have three soaking in water now for tomorrow morning. They are quite the horse pills, so unfortunately I am a little nervous about getting her to swallow them! She happily ate her dinner and is a little yellow stained now from the b vitamins 🥴🤪 will update tomorrow.

@JRies sorry, she is 8 months!! Our feed store is unfortunately all over the place, so when they have duck and goose we stock up, but being that we are a mixed flock (chickens, muscovies - geese and turkeys) there is the off chance they get into eachothers food. Brats. My turkeys are grown, so I'm not too worried about them getting into the duck feed as they are big strong and well past their prime growing time - but I don't want to mess with her legs. I will do better by her - I would also think that it is just not nutritionally complete for her. She quite enjoyed her bath, and I will make sure she gets into her pool tomorrow! I don't want her to get cold though, as she has a hard time standing of course to get underneath herself while preening... She was doing so quite attentively, and her oil gland is working well (I did take a peek while bathing her)

So help me though, the chickens will eat anything everything and the wrapper that fell out of my pocket, and not a thing happens to them 🤪😅😅😅

@Goosebaby oh shoot WELL I got one into her tonight!!! I have three soaking in water now for tomorrow morning. They are quite the horse pills, so unfortunately I am a little nervous about getting her to swallow them! She happily ate her dinner and is a little yellow stained now from the b vitamins 🥴🤪 will update tomorrow.

@JRies sorry, she is 8 months!! Our feed store is unfortunately all over the place, so when they have duck and goose we stock up, but being that we are a mixed flock (chickens, muscovies - geese and turkeys) there is the off chance they get into eachothers food. Brats. My turkeys are grown, so I'm not too worried about them getting into the duck feed as they are big strong and well past their prime growing time - but I don't want to mess with her legs. I will do better by her - I would also think that it is just not nutritionally complete for her. She quite enjoyed her bath, and I will make sure she gets into her pool tomorrow! I don't want her to get cold though, as she has a hard time standing of course to get underneath herself while preening... She was doing so quite attentively, and her oil gland is working well (I did take a peek while bathing her)

So help me though, the chickens will eat anything everything and the wrapper that fell out of my pocket, and not a thing happens to them 🤪😅😅😅
She is not 2 years. She is still growing. She will be growing out till 3 years old. Hang in there. Its not allways about the feed you have available to feed its about how you supplement that feed. Balancing Vitamin they need with whats available to feed. 1/3 of my geese diet is soaked or sprouted wheat. 1/3 is broiler chicken feed. 1/6th is timothy hay 1/6th soaked is corn. My ducks get duck pellets. But I add vitamins to there feed everyday.

She is not 2 years. She is still growing. She will be growing out till 3 years old. Hang in there. Its not allways about the feed you have available to feed its about how you supplement that feed. Balancing Vitamin they need with whats available to feed. 1/3 of my geese diet is soaked or sprouted wheat. 1/3 is broiler chicken feed. 1/6th is timothy hay 1/6th soaked is corn. My ducks get duck pellets. But I add vitamins to there feed everyday.
Thank you for this. I would happily add extras! She LOVES hay (bunking with a goat will do that I assume, lol) so I could ferment feed as I have done for my chickens also? What vitamins do you suggest, and.. How? I think online would be my best bet, as I live quite rurally.

Off topic BUT sometimes our local brewery offers up their used spent grains; could this be of any nutritional value to her? I add to my chickens feed here and there as I find it's great for them for winter fluff.

I buy horse supplement vitamins. Its funny but whats not good for horses is not good for geese. Fermenting is good. Geese have a very fast hard core processing digestive system. There mussels to digest are very fast and strong. So food dose not stay in them very long. Feeding a hard grain has little chance of giving them what they need. There grazers. So when you ferment you prepare the food for full digestion and actually break down to get to the bran. (I do a 3 day sprout one soak day 2 rinse days you just see a little growth)
Also if your feeding a layer feed to you poultry you will want to keep it from your goose if she is not laying. To much calcium while growing can actually work backwards in there growth development and make them lame.
Red Cell has a good vitamin/mineral supplement (good for all your critters) but it is molasses based so you would want to add it to a wet feed. You will still need to add some Niacin I use over the counter tablets. Not time released. Nice thing about Niacin (B3) its like C if they dont need it they will not keep it. I use one that is produced local called Super B-Plex for horses which is a flax seed formula now.

I buy horse supplement vitamins. Its funny but whats not good for horses is not good for geese. Fermenting is good. Geese have a very fast hard core processing digestive system. There mussels to digest are very fast and strong. So food dose not stay in them very long. Feeding a hard grain has little chance of giving them what they need. There grazers. So when you ferment you prepare the food for full digestion and actually break down to get to the bran. (I do a 3 day sprout one soak day 2 rinse days you just see a little growth)
Also if your feeding a layer feed to you poultry you will want to keep it from your goose if she is not laying. To much calcium while growing can actually work backwards in there growth development and make them lame.
Red Cell has a good vitamin/mineral supplement (good for all your critters) but it is molasses based so you would want to add it to a wet feed. You will still need to add some Niacin I use over the counter tablets. Not time released. Nice thing about Niacin (B3) its like C if they dont need it they will not keep it. I use one that is produced local called Super B-Plex for horses which is a flax seed formula now.
Do you know what the horse mineral supplement you have is, I will look I to this as well! Do you use it as a top dress to feed? And do you add b3 every feed? The goose&duck pellets we normally feed are 16% I believe.. and which seeds to you buy to soak etc? I will look into bulk buying to add extra for her. Thank you so much for all of this.

Not sure where you are located but online, in Canada we have a place called Mad Barn that I sometimes order vitamins for my goats through! The copper in specific, but perhaps they have something.

Back
Top Bottom