Possible impacted crop?

Hi there -
I checked her crop this morning and it still felt like a “lump” was in there. Hard like a rock not swishy. I gave her a few treats and she is still motivated by them like the others, but isn’t as aggressive as the others to get them. I felt a couple of the other birds crops and her crop definitely is different.
She is my only white leghorn. I also have a “pearl star” leghorn, Americana, Plymouth blue rock, and olive Egger. I realize they are all different and she may simply be a bit more delicate so I’m. It sure I’m overreacting.

The lump that's in there - can you manipulate it at all?
I would re-check her crop in the mornings for several days. If you feel she may benefit from little coconut oil, it won't hurt her.

I think she's just Lovely! Definitely looks like a White Leghorn to me! She will be more "dainty" than the others - White Leghorns are a "Mediterranean" breed compared to the Dual Purpose Large Fowl the others are. I had one and she was a great layer - I would start making oyster shell available free choice when she's around 16 weeks. Mine started laying eggs at 19wks and boy did she lay eggs! She was an eater too - all those eggs require energy, so don't be surprised at how full her crop gets at night - you just want to monitor that it's empty by morning. I would leave her on chick starter with the others at least until they all come into lay. The Large Fowl, may not start for a good while longer.

I hope your coop/run gets fixed soon, what a bummer it was a scam. I will tell you, at least my Leghorn sort of walked to the beat of her own drum. While none of the girls really bothered her, she was way more active (busy!) and yes, cautious when it came to food - not really bullied, but LF can be feed station hoarders. So...when you get more room, I suggest adding another feed station.

Just recently I noticed about those Peal Star Leghorns - interesting cross. You may want to check out this thread - I learned a few things and the OP posted some photos of the eggs they got on the last page or so...nice eggs too! https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pearl-star-leghorns.1349837/

Please dont apologize!!! I'm so sorry you're little isn't feeling well!!

This is my first go with a flock as well. As far as I know, if you have removed all sources of food, the crop should essentially be empty in the morning (sans a bit of gushiness from maybe drinking some water as I didnt remove water source) but it should not be bulging or hard.

I would recommend isolating your chick tonight or maybe even today. Monitor food and water intake and poop all day....remove food and water at night and check crop again in the morning. If it is not empty, maybe give some chilled coconut pie as Wyorp suggested.

Good luck and sending lots of love and prayers your way!!

Coconut oil* stupid auto correct lol

Hi there -
I checked her crop this morning and it still felt like a “lump” was in there. Hard like a rock not swishy. I gave her a few treats and she is still motivated by them like the others, but isn’t as aggressive as the others to get them. I felt a couple of the other birds crops and her crop definitely is different.

Their run is a small since i had ordered a coop was suppose to be here over 3 weeks ago...it was a scam so I had to scramble and their coop is coming this weekend. Their run space right now is 4x6 (embarrasses to admit i messed up getting the coop here on time.) The run will be 6x12 and coop will be 4x6. They are honestly cramped right now and are staying the evenings in my garage.

She is my only white leghorn. I also have a “pearl star” leghorn, Americana, Plymouth blue rock, and olive Egger. I realize they are all different and she may simply be a bit more delicate so I’m. It sure I’m overreacting.

Here are a couple of pics. Thanks!!!

Shes stunning!!😍😍

How is your lady? Mine has the same issue and coconut oil isnt really doing anything... i think it's been staying the same size. 🤷‍♀️ if anything, it's NOT getting bigger so that's a plus. I'm just curious if you found something that worked for your baby so I can try it on mine!
Thanks!

How is your lady? Mine has the same issue and coconut oil isnt really doing anything... i think it's been staying the same size. 🤷‍♀️ if anything, it's NOT getting bigger so that's a plus. I'm just curious if you found something that worked for your baby so I can try it on mine!
Thanks!
How old is your hen?
Does she lay eggs?
When are you checking the crop?
How long have you been treating her?
Is she eating/drinking normally? What's she been eating during treatment?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. Let us know how the crop feels - hard, soft, empty, boggy, doughy, squishy, fluid or air filled.

Get us some photos of her droppings from overnight.

In the mean time, read this article too:)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How old is your hen?
Does she lay eggs?
When are you checking the crop?
How long have you been treating her?
Is she eating/drinking normally? What's she been eating during treatment?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. Let us know how the crop feels - hard, soft, empty, boggy, doughy, squishy, fluid or air filled.

Get us some photos of her droppings from overnight.

In the mean time, read this article too:)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She is 14 weeks. It is still in her crop in the mornings when I check. She will digest all the other food she gets filled up on, but a hard walnut sized lump always stays. I do think it's gone down just a little since I isolated her last week and no more grass grazing. Her poops are pretty normal now (last week I'd see bits of grass in it) so I'm guessing that's what's going on in there. I massage the crop but it's not pliable at all, just a solid lump. I'm giving her coconut teaspoons everyday and mixing the smallest amount of the smallest grit in her mash. I've been giving her scrambled eggs, and two blueberries a day for antioxidants, also ACV in water. The only thing I haven't done is tried Laxatives... which I may do soon.
She acts completely normal like nothing is wrong.
Thank you for your reply!
Any advice is appreciated

She is 14 weeks. It is still in her crop in the mornings when I check. She will digest all the other food she gets filled up on, but a hard walnut sized lump always stays. I do think it's gone down just a little since I isolated her last week and no more grass grazing. Her poops are pretty normal now (last week I'd see bits of grass in it) so I'm guessing that's what's going on in there. I massage the crop but it's not pliable at all, just a solid lump. I'm giving her coconut teaspoons everyday and mixing the smallest amount of the smallest grit in her mash. I've been giving her scrambled eggs, and two blueberries a day for antioxidants, also ACV in water. The only thing I haven't done is tried Laxatives... which I may do soon.
She acts completely normal like nothing is wrong.
Thank you for your reply!
Any advice is appreciated
Does she have access to food all the time?

Have you tried massaging/manipulating the lump that's in there to see if it will break up?

I would not mix grit in with the feed. Just provide it free choice.

You could try 1 STOOL SOFTENER to see if that makes a difference. NOT a Laxative - pay close attention to what you get - you don't want to give a laxative.

Does she have access to food all the time?

Have you tried massaging/manipulating the lump that's in there to see if it will break up?

I would not mix grit in with the feed. Just provide it free choice.

You could try 1 STOOL SOFTENER to see if that makes a difference. NOT a Laxative - pay close attention to what you get - you don't want to give a laxative.
Right, that's what I meant -a softener 👍I did some research on that, NO Laxatives! She pretty much just picks around the grit in her food, she doesn't like having any when I put it to the side... guessing she was not eating little rocks outside like the rest of them. I have massaged it quite a bit and it's pretty hard and doesn't really move much, but I'm going to keep trying to massage it everyday. I do leave food out for her all the time becuase shes never been one to eat a lot of food like my other piggies! I just want to make sure she has it when shes hungry. The crop (soft stuff above her hard walnut) does empty every night like normal, so I know shes not all blocked up and poops just fine, no weird colors or anything- just a little green from her two blueberries.

Back
Top Bottom