Possible Injured Spine?

Woodswoman

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2023
New to the forum and new to chickens. I bought 4 Rhode Island Reds and 4 Black Jersey Giants last spring. Two Reds turned out to be roosters. All of the hens are half the size of the two roosters. One hen after mating was injured. The hen didn't want to raise her head, she could but it quickly would lower again going downward and straight out, her wings she had kind of in the position of the mating squat. I separated her, prayed for her and she was fine in the morning. Now a few weeks later she is walking and has been doing fine but she is acting like what was previously described but not as severe, stumbling around a bit when she walks, stretches her leg out often, perching with wings out a bit like what one may see with brooding, moving slowly but is moving, can peck at the ground but not doing it as often. Thank you for your help.

I had a young roo with a spinal injury who was part of a large hatch, I put him in a dog crate in a shed, away from the other birds in case he was sick, provided food and water, and droppings could go thru hardware cloth under crate, and in 3 or 4 weeks he was fine. I know they knocked him off the roof of the coop 6 or 7 feet up. I couldn't afford to vet him, but I did find him a home without the other roosters after he healed. (actually I think all but one of the rest went to freezer camp shortly after he was injured)

So sorry something is up with your hen. Unfortunately if these are the only chickens you have there are too many roosters. Can you post a picture of the hen? What are you feeding them? What is her crop like? I recommend keeping the nicer rooster and getting rid of the other maybe rehoming him.

So sorry something is up with your hen. Unfortunately if these are the only chickens you have there are too many roosters. Can you post a picture of the hen? What are you feeding them? What is her crop like? I recommend keeping the nicer rooster and getting rid of the other maybe rehoming him.
Thank you, yes I am aware of having too many roosters. Both grew up together with the hens and they both are relatively nice and have good attitudes. The largest rooster is the sweetest. The main problem is their size compared to the hens and their inexperience at mating, I'm sure that will improve over time.

The hen, after observing more this morning, seems to have a sore leg, either right at the top of her leg or the bottom of her thigh. I gave her a good massage and manually removed some gunk in her feathers next to her skin and she seems now to be walking better without the limp. I'll get a picture later, when they are out again. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom