Possible respiratory illness in young rooster

Builderbee

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
Midcoast Maine
I have 5 birds living in my heated garage at the moment. One bantam EE Roo (approx 12 weeks), 1 satin bantam(8 weeks), 1 satin/serama mix (5 months) 2 silkies( 1 at least 8 weeks, 1 about 6 weeks). My little roo does not sound right, his crow was hoarse this morning and his other noises do t sound quite right either. I don’t see any other symptoms such as nasal discharge or eye discharge but I have seen him sneeze. The garage is set at 60 F and they have a radiant heat plate as the youngest silkie is not quite fully feathered. I have water solvable Tylan but I am not sure it’s safe to give to birds that young and would the dosage be the same? All of the ages are approximate and based on what the previous owners told me and their appearance. This is the roo below.
D45E665E-0EB9-4E80-BB9F-243EAA3963B3.jpeg
TIA!

How's your ventilation and is ammonia strong in the enclosed garage?

I would be hesitant to treat if there are no clear symptoms. Check crops to make sure they are emptying overnight, re-check ventilation, look inside beaks for lesions, yellow pasty material, gunk.
Cockerels can sound strange at times too, so consider that as well.

If you do suspect respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, Tylosin will help treat symptoms. It can be given to young birds. Do keep in mind that there's no cure for respiratory diseases and most make birds carrier for life.

How's your ventilation and is ammonia strong in the enclosed garage?

I would be hesitant to treat if there are no clear symptoms. Check crops to make sure they are emptying overnight, re-check ventilation, look inside beaks for lesions, yellow pasty material, gunk.
Cockerels can sound strange at times too, so consider that as well.

If you do suspect respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, Tylosin will help treat symptoms. It can be given to young birds. Do keep in mind that there's no cure for respiratory diseases and most make birds carrier for life.
The ventilation is good and I just cleaned the cage Saturday and I spot clean through the week so no ammonia smell. Will just keep an eye on him and go from there. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom