Possibly aggressive cockerel?

Zoohtasim

Crowing
Jun 7, 2021
Hi guys, so I had 7 baby chicks this March, and 3 turned out to be pullets! They are doing amazing, and are healthy. I also had 4 cockerels. Now, 1 of them (his name is Kiella) is very gentle and friendly. Kiella doesnt hurt anyone or any hens and actually sits on my lap! Now the other 3 are problems for me. One of them is occasionally trying to mate with his sisters and holds onto their necks. But it only lasts a couple of seconds, nothing that terrifying. But the other 2 are absolute disasters. They dont mate with their sisters, but still they chase hens around and pinch their necks really really really hard. I noticed this yesterday and was absolutely disgusted. They really want to mate but end up injuring some hens. So will they grow up to be like this? If yes, then I will get rid of them. It is really heartbreaking to see my hens like this. I tried separating them thinking I had a big yard and they'll be separated but still they have to do this. I am a bit disgusted so any advice will be helpful.
IMG_20210617_165525.jpg

Your cockerels will mate with your hens and pullets. It’s natural. However, if you have too many cockerels and they’re being too rough, you could separate them from the hens/pullets.
I mean they are too mean. They hurt them, and forcefully do it. Seems a bit disgusting, but I will wait till they grow up. If they get too out of hand, my grandma will be elated to have chicken fry as dinner✌️

I mean they are too mean. They hurt them, and forcefully do it. Seems a bit disgusting, but I will wait till they grow up.
Chicken sex is not 'pretty' or 'nice'....
....that's just the way it is, especially when they are that young.
Male chickens are sexually 'mature' at about 4 months, females not until about 6 months.
Even when the female submits she's often squawking.

If they get too out of hand, my grandma will be elated to have chicken fry as dinner✌️
Don't wait.

Chicken sex is not 'pretty' or 'nice'....
....that's just the way it is, especially when they are that young.
Male chickens are sexually 'mature' at about 4 months, females not until about 6 months.
Even when the female submits she's often squawking.

Don't wait.
So I will get rid of the 3 cockerels, and keep Kiella. Okay!

Back
Top Bottom