Possibly Permanently Blind Chicken

BlueSoul

Chirping
May 11, 2021
I have a nankin mix (hen) that had chicks and went broody again after about eight weeks. The night her eggs started peeping she got wry neck so we gave her the necessary antibiotics and she got better after a week but I noticed something odd. She acted like she couldn't see us; she normally wouldn't go near the dogs but she'd stand by them without even looking at them (she'd do the same with the cat), she'd only react when our shadows went over her, to feed her I'd have to touch my hand or the bowl to her, she listens more intently and freaks out if you pick her up without talking to her.

We noticed her eye was swollen a little and got what looked like an eye booger out, the swelling went down after a day but she's still acting like she can't see. She also spins in a circle when she get startled and doesn't really walk around out of her cage.

Does anyone have any advice or has a similar experience happened?

It sounds as if she still has wry neck. It's a neurological condition with different causes. It is treated with vitamin E, not antibiotics.

Whether or not her eye issue is permanent remains to be seen. Try treating with vitamin E with egg or a sliver of selenium. As the condition is treated, her vision could return.

It sounds as if she still has wry neck. It's a neurological condition with different causes. It is treated with vitamin E, not antibiotics.

Whether or not her eye issue is permanent remains to be seen. Try treating with vitamin E with egg or a sliver of selenium. As the condition is treated, her vision could return.
I meant vitamin E, I just typed antibiotics for some reason. We've been giving her tuna and egg along with the vitamin. We think she developed a deficiency from going broody so soon after hatching.

She flipped around on the floor before we got to her so my mother thinks she might have hit her head?

Back
Top Bottom