Post Office

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BittenKitten, Jun 22, 2010.

1. BittenKitten

BittenKitten New Egg

Mar 19, 2010
    My chicks are coming from MPC next week and I know I need to call the post office but I am not sure what needs to be said. So if you guys have any pointers on what I need to do I would love the help! Thanks

P.S. I know that they drop-ship from Meyers in Ohio and I live in NE Ohio by Lake Erie and the PA line. I know the mail is a subjective thing, but what day do you think that they might get here? Thanks again!

2. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    when i called i just said i had chicks coming in and the lady immediately gave instructions on which PO would be getting them and they would call right away....we have 5 or 6 PO's but only one gets stuff like that so i had to go across town to pick them up..no big deal..the PO will know exactly what to do!!

3. Just call and ask where to pick up and just let them know that they will be coming [​IMG] We want pics when they come [​IMG]

4. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    I live in a pretty small town... so when I'm expecting a package of hatching eggs I go in and leave a note for the carriers so that they know that I have eggs coming and to call me when they come in. The people that work at my PO are awesome... and call me the moment they get the eggs. Recently one of my egg packages was missing my address and they figured it out! Good luck with your chicks!

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    My chicks from MPC arrive tomorrow. They were shipped out of Ohio Monday and will be in Omaha tonight and in the morning they'll be in my small town post office. I called MPC this morning, made sure the chicks shipped and called the post office to tell them to expect them early tomorrow morning. The Post Office starts answering the phone around 7 a.m. Mine will be the first call - double checking that they are there and then I'll head in to pick them up. This is the same thing I do each and everytime I order poultry/waterfowl via the US Mail.

Good Luck with your shipping and your chicks.

Joni

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  6. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    When I ordered my chicks from McMurray hatchery in May I got them the next day after they shipped. I just called the hub post office (which is in Mojave, CA for my area) and told them I was expecting chicks and I told them the expected date, gave them my phone number even though it was on the box and when they came in I got my call right away. McMurray always ships on Saturdays and I usually get them on Sunday am. Now on Memorial Day weekend, McMurray shipped mine out early Sunday morning and I got mine Monday am.

When I have bought eggs from someone, I received them on Saturdays.

My post office goes out of their way to accomodate the residents.

7. pine top

pine top Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    post office called me at 5 am this morning sir your brids are here i was there by 5.30 am went to back door picked up 95 of the livlyest chicks you ever saw thay were shipped monday here this morning 35 buff orps / 35 golden wyndots / 12silver lakenvelder / 13 silverspangeld hams from myres all doing great good luke to you [​IMG]

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We give ours about a day or 2 notice that they are coming. And they are great about it, they call about 7am that they are there and ready to go.

Steve

9. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Post Office called at 7:30 this morning, "come pick up this box of noise." All were O.K. I ordered the 25 pullet with free shiping deal. Barred Rocks,rock!

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

LOL ours says the same thing. "you have a box making noise"

The best one we have ever had was I bought my wife Sharon a pair of yealing solid white peafowl for her birthday, they were in a huge horizon shipping box and of course everybody in the PO wanted to see what was in the box. I cut a couple of the tye wraps off and opened one side of the box and one stuck it's head out was looking all around the PO, it was classic

Steve

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by