Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

As for weights well, the SOP says so-and-so many lbs as a pullet, and so many as a hen. So if you don't weigh, then um how do you know they are for real the right size? I konw for you older guys that have been around them for ages you can tell by the looks and feel that they're "about right." But for people not so used to being around them, I feel weighing them is a big help. I was shocked, for instance, when I weighed my hatchery girls the first time. My God they were light. Here they looked all big and fluffy and yet on the scales, it's all air!

As for weights well, the SOP says so-and-so many lbs as a pullet, and so many as a hen. So if you don't weigh, then um how do you know they are for real the right size? I konw for you older guys that have been around them for ages you can tell by the looks and feel that they're "about right." But for people not so used to being around them, I feel weighing them is a big help. I was shocked, for instance, when I weighed my hatchery girls the first time. My God they were light. Here they looked all big and fluffy and yet on the scales, it's all air!
SOP says pullets 7 lbs and hens 8 lbs. I think that is about right as far as my std birds. I have weighted a hen once that was over 10 lbs. I would say she was very fat. Some males get pretty heavy, I have never seen a big std DQ for being to heavy. It doesn't take a very big pullet to weight 7 lbs. I don't think thay weighing birds is a big deal. Type, color and condition is more important to me. I would never cull a bird on his weight if he or she was a good one. Alot of times it's the time we hatch a bird. Jan. babies will be very big for the early fall shows, a pullet hatched in April has to show in the same class. I think we have to do a little breeding management.

SOP says pullets 7 lbs and hens 8 lbs. I think that is about right as far as my std birds. I have weighted a hen once that was over 10 lbs. I would say she was very fat. Some males get pretty heavy, I have never seen a big std DQ for being to heavy. It doesn't take a very big pullet to weight 7 lbs. I don't think thay weighing birds is a big deal. Type, color and condition is more important to me. I would never cull a bird on his weight if he or she was a good one. Alot of times it's the time we hatch a bird. Jan. babies will be very big for the early fall shows, a pullet hatched in April has to show in the same class. I think we have to do a little breeding management.
Thanks Don. I was very curious about this. Very useful information.

SOP says pullets 7 lbs and hens 8 lbs.  I think that is about right as far as my std birds. I have weighted a hen once that was over 10 lbs.  I would say she was very fat.  Some males get pretty heavy, I have never seen a big std DQ for being to  heavy.  It doesn't take a very big pullet to weight 7 lbs.  I don't think thay weighing birds is a big deal.  Type, color and condition  is more important to me.  I would never cull  a bird on his weight if he or she was a good one. Alot of times it's the time we hatch a bird. Jan. babies will be very big for the early fall shows, a pullet hatched in April has to show in the same class. I think we have to do a little breeding management.
Don, you are one that has been around and can tell by handling or even just looking that a bird is within the standard. Even more so since you've physically weighed one and have a point of reference there. I own a copy of the standard myself and initially started weighing them out of curiosity. I happen to think it's a good tool for those of us just getting going in this. I was thrilled at my breeder pullet being so big at only 9 months. I've noticed some eat like horses and grow like crazy while others are more "normal" about it. I like those fast growing big eaters. I call it the eating gene lol.

Back
Top Bottom