Post surgery crop remains open

Kathy,
Geez! I just re-read the post and see that you were offering some clarity and encouragement on ethics. Ugh! Haven't yet had my coffee! I thought that post sounded fa,iliar!
1f642.png
Anyway, thank you. I was confused that you would be questioning this...ugh! It all makes sense now! Thanks!
Jeanne

The original procedure went well. She is active, pooping lots of perfectly normal poop! Eating, etc. her would popped open and isn't closing, so I'm worried about that. Started pro pen g last night, so hopefully, if there is any infection that will help. I've read a lot , and learned that chicken owners are sometimes on their own to save a chicken. I couldn't locate a vet willing to see her, so it was my last resort. She seems to be holding her own. If she were suffering, I would be in a much different situation. Thanks.
Jeanne

Kathy,
Geez! I just re-read the post and see that you were offering some clarity and encouragement on ethics. Ugh! Haven't yet had my coffee! I thought that post sounded fa,iliar!
1f642.png
Anyway, thank you. I was confused that you would be questioning this...ugh! It all makes sense now! Thanks!
Jeanne
In the last 40 years I myself have lanced a few abscesses on horses and cats, lanced and de-pusified a breast blister (
sickbyc.gif
- got good pictures of that one), done a sinus surgery on a pea hen at the feed store, amputated a wing, splinted fractures on poultry, etc, so I am in no position to question the ethics of crop surgery, lol.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Wow! you have guts! if anyone would know how to clear this up, it would be you! Thanks for all of your time and input.
jeanne

I'm not talking about whether one surgery is more barbaric than another.

I'm new to chickens.

This is a straightforward question, not an insult:

Is there a code of ethics that chicken owners follow that provide guidelines for say; someone new, that might clarify for me what is and what is not considered OK in terms of DIY medical procedures?

I'm not talking about whether one surgery is more barbaric than another.

I'm new to chickens.

This is a straightforward question, not an insult:

Is there a code of ethics that chicken owners follow that provide guidelines for say; someone new, that might clarify for me what is and what is not considered OK in terms of DIY medical procedures?
Most vets would probably say that it should be done in a sterile environment with proper drugs, supplies, experience, etc, but crop surgery and bumblefoot surgery, lacerations, minor amputations, lacerations, etc. are often done by pet owners.

-Kathy

Hi,
Just checking in to see how your chicken (and you!) are doing? Were you able to get the aspirin in him? I totally understand how these things can be so challenging! Others on these forums seem to do some of this stuff with ease...not me! Ever step requires lots of reading, you tube videos and the gathering of nerves!
1f60a.png
I'm sure you are taking great care of your chickie. Hope he's feeling better! My hen seems to be turning a corner. I think the penicillin is what she needed. Swelling has reduced, no longer hot around the incision, and it seems to finally be closing up a bit. Fingers are crossed! Let us know how your chicken is doing!
1f60a.png

Update....awhile back I posted about doing a crop surgery on my chicken. I'm happy to report that she is doing great, and today she started laying again! A beautiful chocolate brown egg! Thank you to all of you who responded to my questions and offered your support and advice! This is a great site!

Back
Top Bottom