post your chicken coop pictures here!

Had a funny happen a couple of days ago.:lau .. Someone made the statement that their chickens loved twinkies... I treat mine every so often..between salads, etc. So I went out and found a box of twinkies and took two down to the two coops.. In the first little coop are my older chickens..1 1/2 yrs.. Then there is the new coop that I'm working on and it has 7 chickens in there. 1 is about 6mo and the rest of them are about 4 months. I took a twinkie and broke it into 2 pieces and threw one in each coop. In the older coop, the chickens went wild.... in the newer/younger coop, they wouldn't touch them!!!! Finally took the 2 pieces off of the floor.... LOL they wanted nothing to do with the twinkie. Yep,,,,can you see the 2 pieces of twinkie??? Finally, picked them up and fed them to the older girls :eek: These still have creme on their faces!!:lau
Not good for humans and not good for chickens. There are a LOT of healthy treats that they would live just as much or more. I don't recommend you give them two lies for other sugar treat. JS

Ok guys... Had a cracked egg so I'm trying to figure out if it's fertile or not... The picture isn't that great but I can clearly see the dot... Almost looks like the pictures I've been seeing but need some help... First timer and all lol
Yea!! Congratulations!

Last edited:
Not good for humans and not good for chickens. There are a LOT of healthy treats that they would live just as much or more. I don't recommend you give them two lies for other sugar treat. JS
hu.gif
Yea, but as I said.....I don't do that often because of the fat content.....I usually provide salads/etc.... I wouldn't feed such to my ladies except on rare occasions. ! And I don't keep treats in my house either!
idunno.gif

So I just found this thread a couple of weeks ago and I have made it to page 75.
ya.gif
I think all these coops are awesome, and they give me so many ideas to improve on mine and help me with future ones. Right now we have several small coops ( good for about 6-8 each) that I am using to keep the different breeds separate for breeding, but the DH, DS, and I are going to start converting our big shed into a "winter" coop that will be attached to our 55'x70' fenced in garden for all of the girls and a few of the boys to go into for the colder months (until breeding season). We are going to use the biggest breeding pen for the rooster pen and they will have access to our fenced in back yard. Here are some pics of our coops. All built out of repurposed materials and by my wonderful husband, who is enabling my chicken addiction.
clap.gif

without the run

with the run

This is just a roosting house that can be closed up at night, it's for the free rangers.

This is our big breeding pens. It is sectioned off into 4 different pens. ( Almost done)

I figured out how to use hubby's screw gun and made this brooder box all by myself. It has 2 sections for different ages, until they go into the grow-out cottage.

This is the grow-out cottage ( a repurposed playhouse). I actually found another one that we are going to use for a bantam coop.

This one is in the big yard where all the bigger birds can see them, just not get to them, that way it will be easier to introduce them once they get the right size.

As you can see I love coops. Hope everyone has a great day.

So I just found this thread a couple of weeks ago and I have made it to page 75.
ya.gif
I think all these coops are awesome, and they give me so many ideas to improve on mine and help me with future ones. Right now we have several small coops ( good for about 6-8 each) that I am using to keep the different breeds separate for breeding, but the DH, DS, and I are going to start converting our big shed into a "winter" coop that will be attached to our 55'x70' fenced in garden for all of the girls and a few of the boys to go into for the colder months (until breeding season). We are going to use the biggest breeding pen for the rooster pen and they will have access to our fenced in back yard. Here are some pics of our coops. All built out of repurposed materials and by my wonderful husband, who is enabling my chicken addiction.
clap.gif

without the run

with the run

This is just a roosting house that can be closed up at night, it's for the free rangers.

This is our big breeding pens. It is sectioned off into 4 different pens. ( Almost done)

I figured out how to use hubby's screw gun and made this brooder box all by myself. It has 2 sections for different ages, until they go into the grow-out cottage.

This is the grow-out cottage ( a repurposed playhouse). I actually found another one that we are going to use for a bantam coop.

This one is in the big yard where all the bigger birds can see them, just not get to them, that way it will be easier to introduce them once they get the right size.

As you can see I love coops. Hope everyone has a great day.
welcome-byc.gif
You will love being here....Lots of great help and so much positive constructive remarks.....people on here,,,,especially the ones with a lot of experience will be a great help to you... Glad you are here..

Quote:
lau.gif
I know what you mean...once you get in there it's addicting...you say to yourself after a few hours..."oh, just one more page" !!!
gig.gif

I have a question for you....whereabouts do you live? Reason I ask is because of the type of wire you are using and I'm fearful you will someday be dessimated by a predator attack, and you don't want that I'm sure. I notice a lot of forested areas around you which I'm sure have them.

I had to laugh when you said you learned how to use your hubby's screw gun....I went through the same thing! I'm a single gal and I bought a screw gun and a small skill-saw. The first time I used them I was scared to death. Then after a few times I thought "hey, I can DO this!!" Best of luck and wishing you well!

Hi all,

Yesterday a great friend call and said he had some decks he had to get rid of. So I immediately dropped everything and went to see them, being the scrounger that I am. My friend then offered to build me a new chicken coop and a new goat shed and deliver them with his crane truck. This truly has been an awesome week, first I found some free spools to make a goat playground and now this. Life is good! So my friends it is time to get some helpful hints for interior design for the coop. The coop will have a floor area of 10 ft by 18 ft. Sloped roof at 8 ft high to 6 ft high. I plan on putting a person door at one end, off set to the high side. This will access an area that I would like to keep my feed and put a broody area separate from the main coop with an access door to the main area for egg collection and cleaning. My laying boxes will be buckets raised about a foot off the floor. I would like to put a poop board under my roosts and put my feed/water under the poop board. I plan on window openings at either end, larger one on the opposite end from the door, and two window openings on the 6 ft side of the coop. These I will cover with wire mesh and have removable plexi glass covers for the winter. I will be installing an automatic door opener (hoping the goats don't eat the sensor off this one). I have vinyl flooring to put down on the floor and will use PDZ on the poop board and sawdust (I use wood pellets soaked with water to break them down into sawdust) on the floor. I plan on having 50 hens and will also keep my existing coop which has room for 5-6 birds and will work well for islolation/raising chicks etc.

So....any suggestions? Have I covered it all? I do free range my chickens so will see what my losses are next spring when the eagles are nesting in the area and hunting everyone's flocks. If it is really bad I will have to make a covered run but the last two years I have only lost one hen, two have been injured and 4 roosters have died defending their ladies. The roo I have now seems to be very savvy and keeps his hens close and under cover when the hawk/eagles are around. I think it also helps that the gal across the road free ranges as well and apparently the eagles like turkey better than chicken and took 23 turkey poults this spring. Note to self: Don't get turkeys.

Cheers, Sheila

Quote: Yep! And we all know (from experience)....scrounging is GOOD!!
lau.gif
When I go over to my sister's house now my BIL immediately says "I have nothing left to give you!!"
gig.gif
I think he's afraid I'll start tearing down his house!

Back
Top Bottom