post your chicken coop pictures here!

yuckyuck.gif

iralc oT​
​To clarify, I have 2 vents each on the opposing shorter sides of the coop, and one in the door, all near the top (appx 4 ft). I also have the 12x18 hen entrance on the wall opposing the real door with the window in it. Does the combination of the hen door low and the 5 vents high provide enough ventilation. Pics are earlier in thread but I'll repost one.

Not sure what all that adds up to but you should have approx. 1 sq.ft. of permanent ventilation per chicken.

I reside in Las Vegas, NV where temperatures exceed 110 degrees. In my coop I elevated it off the ground and added in radiant barrier to the walls and ceiling, gable vents and double doors on each side to aid in cleaning. Instead of a floor I put in a wire floor so that the poop falls through and makes it easy to clean. I have full power, a red LED and ceramic heat lamps in the winter. I have food and oyster shell, along with water 24/7. The radiant barrier keeps it about 30 degrees cooler in the summer heat.

Additionally I keep a small mister on out back for them during the day. I have a pool for my geese and have two auto fill dog bowls that I just kick over every time I go out. They always have fresh cool water. I add electrolytes year round.

Well, my 10x10 shed coop makes a great 'growing out' space for chicks and my tractors are wonderful, but at 4x8 can't comfortably house more than 4 birds. I have designed an 8x12 coop/run that I plan to build entirely out of old pallets. My diagram is terrible but I will post build progress. Picking up the pallets tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom