post your chicken coop pictures here!

I think you need more ventilation.... :D   Just kiddin!!!  I *LOVE* the fresh air coop!!!

Will you be knocking out the wall between the main coop and lean-to part?  How many chickens are you planning on?

For now, the only thing I see that I'd do differently is the fencing.  I'd come in with 2x4 fencing...the chicken wire isn't going to stop any serious predators.  Also, an apron around the coop perimeter would be added security against digging critters.  I see that you've got 2x4 fencing on the right side of lean-to part...will the area inside be used for their run.  Looks like it's getting to be a really nice setup.  

Did I tell ya I *really* like your ventilation??? ;)

Best wishes,
Ed

I don't have really any problem with predators to worry about. I have a 2x4 fence around the coop so they can free range ( 40' x 50' ). I made it very open because of the really hot summers we have in south Alabama. In the main coop I have 6 chickens and the lean too I have 6. Thanks for your comment.

I don't have really any problem with predators to worry about. I have a 2x4 fence around the coop so they can free range ( 40' x 50' ). I made it very open because of the really hot summers we have in south Alabama. In the main coop I have 6 chickens and the lean too I have 6. Thanks for your comment.
What part of south AL?? I'm sitting on I-10 in Theodore.

Hey guys. Been a while but we did get that coop built.... Now we are tearing it down
1f631.png
. I told him not to use that wood
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
. The walls started to come apart. Help me!!!! I want to hurt this husband of mine but I'm a kind, gentile southern woman (
1f608.png
) With way to many chickens.
1f61d.png
So sorry about the build! You all worked very hard! I got so tired of protecting a little OSB flake board coop with tarps and canopies over it that we saved and invested in a tall sturdy easy-to-assemble (or disassemble) Chicken Condos Barn Coop -- they now have an all-plastic Urban Coop that's weather-resistant and easy to clean too -- altho I would add more ventilation to that one. Lots of neat options to customize. We got the wheel pkg and moved our barn coop all around the yard during house/yard remodeling and eventually built a covered patio over it. Hope you find a solution soon. I once looked into TuffShed's only available chicken coop because they will assemble it on the property but it had OSB walls and wasn't mobile and we needed to move our coop around the yard.

http://www.chickencondos.com/

Hey guys. Been a while but we did get that coop built.... Now we are tearing it down
1f631.png
. I told him not to use that wood
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
. The walls started to come apart. Help me!!!! I want to hurt this husband of mine but I'm a kind, gentile southern woman (
1f608.png
) With way to many chickens.
1f61d.png

Haven't heard from you in a while Good luck

We bought our coop, with an attachable run, almost 3 weeks ago and ended up buying Thelma and Louise, both R.I.R., at the same time. We had nothing prepared.do we brought them home and the next day used an old puppy play yard to give them a larger run area. We covered with tarps and lattice to protect them from the feral cats who live behind us.
[/IMG]
We didn't know we were supposed to close them in their coop at night so we've been letting them put themselves to bed, just making sure the small run door was closed and locked.
Within a week we bought and set up a
10x10x6 dog kennel surrounding the original coop. We roofed it, and walled it, with tarps. And again, left the girls to tuck themselves in.
The new run is large but the coop takes up a lot of space aND has no grass left. We covered the dirt with shavings and gave them two sand & D.E.areas for dust baths.

Almost every day I've been reading trying to make sure we are doing right by our girls.
With 19 feral cats around I doubt there are mice or rats, or snakes around.But I decided maybe I better close the coop door oncE they are inside just to be safe.
I went out and nudied them close to the door and they let me pick them up and place them in the coop. I put one of the plastic waterer in the coop for them and closed the door. Left the run after clipping down their tarp walls to keep critters out and cut down chilly winds and cried all the way back to the house. :( hope I sleep tonight. What if they get claustrophobic? (My husband hasnt stopped laughing at me)

ASSUMING the coop is properly ventilated, they are FINE
big_smile.png

My hens always put themselves to bed at night and the auto door locks them in until the sun comes up the next day. They are where THEY want to be at night and so are your two. They aren't going to wake up at 2 AM and want to go for a walk
wink.png

And good for you for putting only 2 hens in that small coop. If/when chicken math hits, you'll need to build something bigger.

They aren't going to wake up at 2 AM and want to go for a walk ;)

My roosters start crowing and by proxy my hens start stirring between 2am and 3am just waiting for enough light to get going for the day and honestly it's perfectly normal for chickens to be awake and ready to go 2-3 hours before sunrise... Same with many wild birds in my area, about 3am the songs start coming from the trees...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom