post your chicken coop pictures here!

Do your birds ever get off the concrete onto dirt or grass? Or is thE coop enclosure where they stay?

Our birds are backyard free-range so they use the coop only for egg-laying and roosting. Not everything is concrete and paver stones - those areas are for our benefit to walk and we are still working on finishing the pavers. The chickens have a backyard of dirt just for them. Under the canopy is a square dust bath for them. In winter they get access to the raised garden beds (2 of them). We use a 28-inch tall rabbit fence roll to keep the chickens divided from our people space. We were going to make a permanent fence separation but find the rabbit fence roll versatile to move around as needed and the chickens have learned to respect fence barriers.

Nice looking coop. Lower Rio Grande Valley is about as deep south as you can get, isn't it? How long have you had your chickens? Any heat issues? That deep south I would think a coop with one or two open sides would work well. I'm up in south Alabama and I'm seriously considering building a coop with at least one almost solid open wall...and we're a lot cooler climate than where you're at.

Is that a 4x8 coop? Bigger? How many chickens? 4x8 is just a natural size coop to build for say a half-dozen chickens....sheet goods come in 4x8 size so very little cutting needed.

Best wishes,
Ed

Recent coop build out of totally scavenged materials~pallets mainly...so...FREE except for some of the hardware. Even the slide was found curbside.

The "chick" seems quite happy with it! I think I got the ventilation right but the square footage might be a little tight if I add more chicks to it.

lau.gif
Sorry...couldn't resist.

Recent coop build out of totally scavenged materials~pallets mainly...so...FREE except for some of the hardware. Even the slide was found curbside.

The "chick" seems quite happy with it! I think I got the ventilation right but the square footage might be a little tight if I add more chicks to it.

lau.gif
Sorry...couldn't resist.
yuckyuck.gif

Cute chick!
Is the pup a Maremma?

Recent coop build out of totally scavenged materials~pallets mainly...so...FREE except for some of the hardware. Even the slide was found curbside. The "chick" seems quite happy with it! I think I got the ventilation right but the square footage might be a little tight if I add more chicks to it. :lau Sorry...couldn't resist.
Hey. I love it!!!

morning old folks partly through my first cup of coffee
last night I was told I could take the chicks counting 3
to my broody hen with no eggs it is the first three
from the incubator as eggs where added 4 days apart
my major help was by Hinotori from our Washington state thread
in guiding me

Back
Top Bottom