post your chicken coop pictures here!

I think wolves are extinct here on the east coast. I believe that coyotes and foxes are the only canines left
They are on their way...it's only a matter of time...just like the mountain lions that don't live around here...Oh! Excuse me! The "Wild Golden Retrievers" that haunt the "Wilderness" around here...at least that's what the Michigan department of Natural Resources told me I saw leap from the ditch and land in the center of the road, pause for a moment, look right at me. Then leap to the opposite ditch and disappear into the "Wilderness"...it took some local people getting photos on trail cams....(one with a radio collected cat) before they (DNR) would admit that they exist in the U.P. That's enough about that, I'm sorry!!! If I were constructing my coop and run all over again!!! I would check out this site to help me plan for a safe, secure, healthy environment for my birds!!! Everyone on this site have such nice coops and runs!!! So many great ideas!!! Beautiful coops!!! It's so full of great ideas!!! Makes me wish I could tear every thing down and start all over!!! Great advice!!!

Wow wild golden retrievers!? Really!?

My aunt swore she recently saw one in PA and no one believed her but they did a news story haha

Here is the story and it even mentions the UP!

http://www.goerie.com/news/20160821/cougars-on-move-but-probably-not-in-erie-region

I can see how for a lot of people can mistake wildlife but my aunt loves wildlife and plus when it crosses in front of your car and/or looks at you, like it did for both, it's pretty hard to mistakenly identify even if you don't know wildlife!
yup!!! That's what they told me! "I was mistaken, it must have been a golden retriever...there are no my lions in the UP...." all this as I stood looking at my golden retriever...she was a big girl! But not nearly as big as this cat I saw....the other issue was that it was able to leap from the ditch to the center of the road?!?! A two lane gravel road....what that? About 15-20 ft? I was sure my golden could never have accomplished a leap of that distance....NEVER! And then just casually leap from the center...into the ditch on the other side? And it was said in the most patronizing way....that sets the old hair on end...and brings out the "Sarcastic B---h" in me...kinda like waving the red flag at the bull...I asked what they need to prove that it was a cat? They said a time stamped photo...or puma poop....cat scat....I asked them to describe what Puma Poop looks like? If I find some, how should I collect it? What was their address? Why? Well, so I can send it to you! Won't you need a sample of it?.....To make a long story short...I continued with the dumb question game...it's so fun to see what kind of answers they come up with...so serious and official...they never caught on...and yes I believe your aunt! If she saw one I'm sure that is what it was...not many things you could mistake for a cougar...other than a puma or a my lion. Right!

We have coyotes, bobcats, panthers, cougars, plus your regular chicken killers (raccoons, skunks, hawks). In three years we have not lost one bird to a forest predator.

We have since figured out the less our neighbors secure their birds, the less we see anything hanging around our chicken yard. They have constant problems with coyotes, raccoons, skunks, hawks, and snakes killing their birds. We think the predators don't bother ours due to the extra fencing around the chicken yard, the better built coop and our neighbors' birds are easier pickings.

That said, we have had one "massacre". Our neighbor's dogs had killed a lot of their birds, got bored one afternoon and in under 15 minutes while I went to pick up mail, killed 6 hens and mauled another 8. I was devastated since somehow the dogs got my 4 my favorite hens in the 6 they killed!
Since then we have read up on the laws in our state/county about killing dogs/animals who attack livestock/poultry.

Their dogs have been back about 4 times since the "massacre". Every time we see them, we shoot a gun off in their very general vicinity. We really don't want to kill them. Ticks the neighbors off that we shoot AT the dogs, but until they keep them away from our birds, we'll keep shooting.

We have coyotes, bobcats, panthers, cougars, plus your regular chicken killers (raccoons, skunks, hawks). In three years we have not lost one bird to a forest predator.

We have since figured out the less our neighbors secure their birds, the less we see anything hanging around our chicken yard. They have constant problems with coyotes, raccoons, skunks, hawks, and snakes killing their birds. We think the predators don't bother ours due to the extra fencing around the chicken yard, the better built coop and our neighbors' birds are easier pickings.

That said, we have had one "massacre". Our neighbor's dogs had killed a lot of their birds, got bored one afternoon and in under 15 minutes while I went to pick up mail, killed 6 hens and mauled another 8. I was devastated since somehow the dogs got my 4 my favorite hens in the 6 they killed!
Since then we have read up on the laws in our state/county about killing dogs/animals who attack livestock/poultry.

Their dogs have been back about 4 times since the "massacre". Every time we see them, we shoot a gun off in their very general vicinity. We really don't want to kill them. Ticks the neighbors off that we shoot AT the dogs, but until they keep them away from our birds, we'll keep shooting.

Keep shooting, it is so incentive and rude of people to let their dogs run around the neighborhood killing other peoples birds. I just don't understand it.

I keep my birds and my dog off of other people's property. I expect them to do the same. I would be mortified if my dog hurt or killed any of my neighbors animals. Truly Mortified!!! I don't get it with some people??? If they know that the dogs are going over to your place...and have already killed some of your birds....and they continue to leave them loose to wander back onto your property??? And they are put out because you fire a gun to scare their dogs away??? I'd consider them lucky to have such a tolerate neighbor...check on the leash laws in your area...call the pound the next time the dogs show up...maybe having to pay to get their dogs back will make them keep a closer eye on them...maybe they figure it's "Cruel" to tie up a dog. I know some people who feel that way...so a good secure coop and run are great insurance for the continued health and safety of any chickens...that's my opinion....the more secure the better! Do it right the first time, so you don't have to do it again....famous last words!! Eh!??

I keep my birds and my dog off of other people's property. I expect them to do the same. I would be mortified if my dog hurt or killed any of my neighbors animals. Truly Mortified!!! I don't get it with some people??? If they know that the dogs are going over to your place...and have already killed some of your birds....and they continue to leave them loose to wander back onto your property??? And they are put out because you fire a gun to scare their dogs away??? I'd consider them lucky to have such a tolerate neighbor...check on the leash laws in your area...call the pound the next time the dogs show up...maybe having to pay to get their dogs back will make them keep a closer eye on them...maybe they figure it's "Cruel" to tie up a dog. I know some people who feel that way...so a good secure coop and run are great insurance for the continued health and safety of any chickens...that's my opinion....the more secure the better! Do it right the first time, so you don't have to do it again....famous last words!! Eh!??

I am with you, I too would be mortified if my dog killed my neighbors chickens!

Last edited:
yup!!! That's what they told me! "I was mistaken, it must have been a golden retriever...there are no my lions in the UP...." all this as I stood looking at my golden retriever...she was a big girl! But not nearly as big as this cat I saw....the other issue was that it was able to leap from the ditch to the center of the road?!?! A two lane gravel road....what that? About 15-20 ft? I was sure my golden could never have accomplished a leap of that distance....NEVER! And then just casually leap from the center...into the ditch on the other side? And it was said in the most patronizing way....that sets the old hair on end...and brings out the "Sarcastic B---h" in me...kinda like waving the red flag at the bull...I asked what they need to prove that it was a cat? They said a time stamped photo...or puma poop....cat scat....I asked them to describe what Puma Poop looks like? If I find some, how should I collect it? What was their address? Why? Well, so I can send it to you! Won't you need a sample of it?.....To make a long story short...I continued with the dumb question game...it's so fun to see what kind of answers they come up with...so serious and official...they never caught on...and yes I believe your aunt! If she saw one I'm sure that is what it was...not many things you could mistake for a cougar...other than a puma or a my lion. Right!

Wow that's so ridiculous!!! And yeah, the way they leap, no way a canine could do it. Even a wolf. Only cats can leap like that. And even if a Golden was wild/stray or super athletic or whatever they probably couldn't do that. A highly trained German Shepherd or Belgian Malinois could MAYBE make the jump but even then, probably not. Highly unlikely. That kind of leaping ability and sheer power behind it could only be feline. But wow that's so rude of them

Back
Top Bottom