Poultry Dictionary -- Let's help out the New Guys

Ducks and Banny hens

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
On a little Farm.
I've decided to start a dictionary for everything poultry related. Newbies can come here to find out what certain words mean.
Below is an index for if you're someone looking for a word.
For the contributors: If you have to mention another non-newbie-familiar term, mention the post number where that term is explained and so on... (that's why there are post #'s)
Let's get to it...

BANNY'S POULTRY DICTIONARY
tongue.png

Index:
Breeding True - 6
Landrace - 4
Mutt - 3
Purebred -3
Running Even - 5
Standard - 3
Type- 7
-Er, I was gonna do an index, but I left and came back just now and there's about 400 definitions on my thread here (It's quite Popular
tongue.png
) So I trust the overflow of poultry knowledge will hopefully assist you in your immediate need. Also, if you have a definition question ('what does RIR stand for?' etc), you can ask it here.
smile.png

Last edited:
Purebreed- any chicken that has a standard!
Mutt- any mix breed chicken
Standard- the term used for the shape size color of a chicken

Breed:
A group of birds that reproduce their own likeness in their offspring. A variety is a group within a breed that are distinguished by a difference of a single characteristic eg. feather colour or comb type.

Chris

Broiler:
A young bird of either sex bred and grown specifically for highly efficient meat production. Broilers are usually killed at 5 to 7 weeks of age (alternative term - meat chicken).

Chris

Back
Top Bottom