Powdered Duramycin (oxytetracycline) antibiotic in water

We have this to our duck that was attacked by a raccoon and sadly she didn't make it so we started our flock on this on the July 3rd because the remaining duck and chickens were around her. We gave it to them for 7 days, I read the package and I am worried because it says not for laying hens..so we aren't able to eat the eggs..ever? I am so new to this so please excuse my dumb questions. also we have lost 16 babies that have hatched this year due to raccoons and skunks and our precious duck. We have secured the barn as best we can but they seem to still get it. What is a good solution to detour them. Thank you so much !!!

Welcome to BYC! I read that a raccoon can squeeze thru a 4" x 4" hole, and I have seen skunks squeeze thru 2" x 4" welded wire, so probably a good idea to work on fixing all holes.

-Kathy

@lovabutterfly , the package you have is 10 grams oxytetracycline.

10 grams = 10,000 mg, so
10,000 / 800 = 12.5 gallons @ 800 mg
10,000 / 600 = 16.67 gallons @ 600 mg
10,000 / 400 = 25 gallons @ 400 mg
10,000 / 200 = 50 gallons @ 200 mg

If there are 22 tablespoons per package then the 800 mg dose is"
22 / 12.5 = 1.76 tablespoons per package.

-Kathy

Ah, i am so glad i found this post. I have 1 sick bird out of my flock of 14. Shes so far gone that she wont eat or drink. I am treating the 13 remaining birds because some of them are sneezing a little...

Anyways... I bought 1 packet of the 6.4oz Oxytetracycline HCI 10 Grams
The back is so confusing so i thought i needed to add in 10-20 packets for a 2 gallon waterer so i thought i was under medicating my birds. Well come to find out i think i over medicated my birds, because my husband said to add half the packet to their water. I didnt know the breakdown ... Grrrr.... anyways so now i am reading their water needs to be changed every day?? Grrr....

All because i brought someones rooster home and saved its life from getting its neck slit i am now treating my flock ... .SO IRRITATED. NEVER AGAIN...

So is this the correct amount for Chickens at 1 gallon of water?

• The 800 Duramycin 10 dose is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon
  • The 800 Oxytetracycline dose is 5 teaspoons per gallon

Everyone, I apologize, I was wrong, and so is the Durvet brochure. Not sure how they came up with those numbers, but they are not correct.

• The 800 mg Duramycin 10 dose is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon
  • The 800 mg Oxytetracycline dose is 5 teaspoons per gallon

Quote:

Quote:

So is this the correct amount for Chickens at 1 gallon of water?

• The 800 Duramycin 10 dose is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon
  • The 800 Oxytetracycline dose is 5 teaspoons per gallon

See above post, and I hope this helps.
Scott

yea trying to figure out which one is correct

This one?
  • The 800 mg Duramycin 10 dose is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon
  • The 800 mg Oxytetracycline dose is 5 teaspoons per gallon

Or This one?
  • The Duramycin 10 dose is 1 tablespoon per gallon
  • The Oxytetracycline dose is 2.5 tablespoons per gallon

yea trying to figure out which one is correct

This one?
[COLOR=333333]
  • [COLOR=FF0000]The 800 mg Duramycin 10 dose is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=FF0000]The 800 mg Oxytetracycline dose is 5 teaspoons per gallon[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Or This one?
[COLOR=333333]
  • The Duramycin 10 dose is 1 tablespoon per gallon
  • The Oxytetracycline dose is 2.5 tablespoons per gallon
[/COLOR]

The red one. Which one do you have? The oxytetracyline 10 or the Duramycin 10?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom