prayer warriors (following Jesus Christ, everyone welcome)

@Ocap uploaded pages from a story about a young Christian couple who got pregnant. They were busy with their careers as medical students and not ready for a child. So the husband attempted an abortion procedure on his wife. But he used too much anesthetic and killed his wife (not to mention unborn child) :(

Like, just a man trying to do an abortion at home? Or was he a little educated in being a doctor? Did the wife know?

Thank you for the advice :) I don't want tattoos untill I'm older because I want to make sure I REALLY want it. And I would definitely do a temporary tattoo type thing.

Haha, you sound like you were a lot like me :lol: With some slight differences though. Which brings me to my original question that I don't feel was really answered. Is liking to look or dress a bit eccentric considered vanity? Can you be expressive about your appearance and humble at the same time?

IMO, sure you can. It depends on what exactly you want to express, though. For instance, I still wear some tie dye, but its usually an ankle length skirt with a nice tee shirt, or I have a collection of t-shirts with Looney toon characters, etc... I'm not trying to attract undue attention from another man, and I'm (hopefully) not offending anyone with my bugs Bunny tee, but I'm expressing myself in that respect. Is that what you were meaning?

Last edited:
Like, just a man trying to do an abortion at home? Or was he a little educated in being a doctor? Did the wife know?

What happened?

@Ocap uploaded pages from a story about a young Christian couple who got pregnant. They were busy with their careers as medical students and not ready for a child. So the husband attempted an abortion procedure on his wife. But he used too much anesthetic and killed his wife (not to mention unborn child) :(

Ocap had asked "does God allow people to make mistakes?"

In this case, they made a huge permanent mistake. And their mistake is becoming a lesson to us.

I do believe God allows us to make mistakes, for that very reason. The whole old testament is testament to that....

IMO, sure you can. It depends on what exactly you want to express, though. For instance, I still wear some tie dye, but its usually an ankle length skirt with a nice tee shirt, or I have a collection of t-shirts with Looney toon characters, etc... I'm not trying to attract undue attention from another man, and I'm (hopefully) not offending anyone with my bugs Bunny tee, but I'm expressing myself in that respect. Is that what you were meaning?

Yes and no. More along the lines of crazy hair, piercings, and tattoos (alternative fashion type stuff). Is this disobeying what Paul says about vanity and being extravagantly dressed? I mean it's my heart that counts as far as humbleness, right?

Last edited:
Yes and no. More along the lines of crazy hair, piercings, and tattoos (alternative fashion type stuff). Is this disobeying what Paul says about vanity and being extravagantly dressed? I mean it's my heart that counts as far as humbleness, right?

Yes, what's in your heart is what matters... Love in there matters..and we're commanded to love God with our whole heart, and to love is to honor him and glorify him. You would be in the best position to know where your heart lies as far as what you would consider extravagant. I would give it a prayer for guidance and a little time, and let Gods will be done :)

Last edited:
Yes, what's in your heart is what matters... Love in there matters..and we're commanded to love God with our whole heart, and to love is to honor him and glorify him. You would be in the best position to know where your heart lies as far as what you would consider extravagant. I would give it a prayer for guidance and a little time, and let Gods will be done :)

Yeah, that's what I thought but was still wondering. Thank you :)

He will sign under my name. If he inserts anything that is specifically from him, I'll be sure that it's id'd as such. He did come up with the second set of verses re: instruments used in praise and worship in Psalms, b/c I asked him to feel free to insert any other appropriate scripture there! He doesn't read it all, but I ask him for input here and there. I tend to be more reactionary, while he tends to mull things over for a bit before responding.
I wish I was more of a mulls things over type.

Thank you for the advice
smile.png
I don't want tattoos untill I'm older because I want to make sure I REALLY want it. And I would definitely do a temporary tattoo type thing.

Haha, you sound like you were a lot like me
lol.png
With some slight differences though. Which brings me to my original question that I don't feel was really answered. Is liking to look or dress a bit eccentric considered vanity? Can you be expressive about your appearance and humble at the same time?
Th old testament says not to get tattoos, probably pagan related, and for health reasons. Personally I think they look awful, especially when people get old and they have this faded ugly wrinkled thing on them. As far as dressing, I think you can be unique and express yourself, but to be shocking just to get attention is not humble.

Quote:

Quote: I think that the "what you wear, including hair style, jewelry can become a matter of legalism. There is a man at my church, who I have the greatest admiration for. Back in the day, when there were more men who showed up in suit and tie, or at least dress pants and tie, he'd show up in a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt. Other times, he'd show up dressed semi formal with a bow tie. When asked about his varied attire, he responded thus: "I think it's important to not let our attire become a stumbling block. If most men in church dress formally, I will dress informally." If the trend changes, and most men show up in jeans and flannel shirts, you may see me in a suit and tie." He cited the example of the early church when a ragged visitor was directed to the back of the church instead of sitting in the front where he had first chosen a seat. He said, "I want every visitor to feel welcome." This man was a church Elder. He and his wife would often invite any new visitors home to share lunch with them after the service. I've rarely met a couple who were as gifted in the art of hospitality, and sharing Christ through living example. An other man, dressed in very flamboyant clothing. He sometimes would show up with a mohawk, which would change color with his mood. He had a flashy cane, often dressed in tasseled leather vest with spikes all over it, sometimes had an outrageous hat, tight leather chaps, boots that would draw attention in any crowd. Other times a black T-shirt with a Christian logo, or perhaps a very graphic portrait of Jesus suffering on the cross. Other times, it would be vivid purple flourescent paisley pants. His face was horribly disfigured, with half of his jaw missing. He'd lost that side of his face and most of his tongue to cancer at a young age. He was hard to understand. Yet, with his disfigurement, he would sing his heart out to the Lord. We had a couple who showed up every week wearing huge fuzzy character slippers. She was morbidly obese, so she could not wear shoes. So, she figured, if I can't wear shoes, and have to wear slippers, at least I'll make them "fun" slippers. And to support his wife, so she wouldn't be the only one in fuzzy slippers, he'd wear them also. So, in they'd come, wearing huge Tazmanian devil slippers. In all these attires, it's what's in the heart that matters.

Now, here's my question. Where do the individual's rights to wear what he/she wants end, and when does it become ok to correct someone? Specifically... how far should a young lady be allowed to go with short skirt, revealing midriff, skin tight clothing, showing lots of cleavage? At what point do we correct such a person, and possibly give her an excuse to avoid church and God for the rest of her life, or at what point do we wait it out, and wait for the Holy Spirit to convict her? At what point does her self expression need to be checked at the door of the church because it is a stumbling block to the men??? Moving forward from that question: At what point does clothing that is a bit revealing become inappropriate, and when is it ok? Think on that a bit..... Moving on. When I went to Guatemala, several years ago in July, for a work based mission trip, our team struggled with choosing appropriate clothing that would be cooling and yet modest. We get to church.... A very powerful, worship filled, Holy Spirit filled 3 hour service, and I see more cleavage there than I've ever seen in my life. This is cultural. Hispanic women, at least in those hot climates, show much more skin than we consider to be appropriate at church in the US. And there are other cultures that show even more skin. Now, how to answer that question as Jesus would???? I don't have an answer to the word picture I painted of the young lady at a US church.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom