Prayers for my poor hen .....

svh

Crowing
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
..... And forgiveness for me, and my (lack of) action with the extreme weather.

Hello all, been awhile since I've been around.

I had to relate this to someone, but in fear of losing my man card, I can't tell any of my friends or neighbors right now, cause of my crackling voice, and tears dripping on my keyboard. 😭

I let a molting hen freeze to death.

I thought she was far enough along in the molt to make it, but I was wrong. I took action in the last few days to avoid this, weather proofing the coop, and even bringing 2 VERY bald chickens into the house, but Mother Nature, being the Bi-ch she is, took her toll on Olga, who was (I thought) far enough along in her molt to be alright.

I just found her body burrowed face first into the corner of a nest box, trying to escape the cold. Even being a grown ass man, this hit me like a ton of bricks, and I feel horrible. I just can't get the sight of her out of my mind.

I had to get this off my chest, and carry on, as I have other problems equally as pressing ..... This morning my furnace stopped working, my water lines have frozen up, and it was 39 degrees inside the house last time I checked. I have a large bottle of adult Russian potato juice, (minus 4 or 5 s-hots), that is calling my name. I have propane back up, but with the extremes, it is woefully inadequate.

No relief for a few days .....

With the weather in the country right now, I know I'm not alone with these problems, but a prayer or two for me, and others wouldn't hurt.
Mine are going out to others as well, as I know I'll be alright.

I knew if anyone would understand, I knew it would be my peeps here at BYC .....

Sorry for the heavy content of this post, but I needed to get it out ......

I had to relate this to someone, but in fear of losing my man card, I can't tell any of my friends or neighbors right now, cause of my crackling voice, and tears dripping on my keyboard. 😭

I thought she was far enough along in the molt to make it, but I was wrong. I took action in the last few days to avoid this, weather proofing the coop, and even bringing 2 VERY bald chickens into the house, but Mother Nature, being the Bi-ch she is, took her toll on Olga, who was (I thought) far enough along in her molt to be alright.

I just found her body burrowed face first into the corner of a nest box, trying to escape the cold. Even being a grown ass man, this hit me like a ton of bricks, and I feel horrible. I just can't get the sight of her out of my mind.

I had to get this off my chest, and carry on, as I have other problems equally as pressing ..... This morning my furnace stopped working, my water lines have frozen up, and it was 39 degrees inside the house last time I checked. I have a large bottle of adult Russian potato juice, (minus 4 or 5 s-hots), that is calling my name. I have propane back up, but with the extremes, it is woefully inadequate.

With the weather in the country right now, I know I'm not alone with these problems, but a prayer or two for me, and others wouldn't hurt.

I knew if anyone would understand, I knew it would be my peeps here at BYC .....

I feel all of that. I have accidentally caused the death of 2 over the years. It's devastating.

Hope you're not too manly for a virtual hug.
:hugs

I'm so sorry. We've all made mistakes, serious ones, that we regret. Try not to beat yourself up. I always strive to learn from those mistakes, so that they weren't made in vain. I believe that sort of makes up for it.

I hope you get your heat back soon, and that the guilt subsides. You were not intentionally cruel, and that counts for something, too.

Sending a big tight hug to you! I'm so sorry about Olga 💔. I'm so glad you shared this with us, this is my safe space too, no one really understands how much we love our feathered friends.

I'm so sorry. We've all made mistakes, serious ones, that we regret. Try not to beat yourself up. I always strive to learn from those mistakes, so that they weren't made in vain. I believe that sort of makes up for it.

I hope you get your heat back soon, and that the guilt subsides. You were not intentionally cruel, and that counts for something, too.

Thank you so much. I apppreciate your insight, and GB you.

Back
Top Bottom