Predator ID no pictures here!

Newfowler1

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
Purcellville Virginia
So what does a fox kill typically look like? It must have been interrupted? No other injury beyond a fatal neck puncture.

I Lost my best layer the other day. It was very overcast and rather dark out midday. I must have just missed the kill by an hour or two as she was still warm ☹️.
She had only one large puncture wound on her neck about diameter of a #2 pencil. The wound was right over an artery on the lower side of her neck. Very few feathers at the kill site and only a small amount of blood. I thought she could have been drug there but saw little evidence of it in the surrounding brush. She was in a shallow gully but not far from the open area where they graze for bugs and stuff.

I keep my birdies penned up at night. Basically I let them out an hour or two after dawn and herd the Guineas and ducks up about an hour before dark or dusk.
The Guineas do a good job of watching over everyone. They share a coop with a partition down the middle ducks on one side “Goonies” ☺️ on the other. I do think my Goonie Birds help and will always have some around.

I thought Fox?? Seems likely. I know I’ve got coon, weasel, mink hawks and occasional eagle around. I’ve had several rather bloody massacres with the Guinea and 3 ducks earlier but few if any are ever eaten, just killed. Not unlike a weasel or mink.

I’m pissed of course but not going on a blood letting of critters. I moved here for the wildlife, all of them, the good, the bad and the not so nice lol. I foolishly went after the coons and feel I made a huge mistake. I’ve killed & hunted enough and don’t want to kill anything anymore (unless it’s absolutely necessary).

Regrettably I am setting up live traps on several animal runs I believe to be fox judging from experience and urine smell. If I catch any adult Fox or Racoon I will attempt to cover the trap and relocate them 15 miles or more away. If they don’t cooperate I’m afraid they may have to be euthanized. Frankly I hope the traps are empty

Pretty impossible to tell 'who dun it'.

If I catch any adult Fox or Racoon I will attempt to cover the trap and relocate them 15 miles or more away.
If you trap it, you should kill it.
Relocation is often illegal for many good reasons.

If you don't want the risks of free ranging, keep your birds confined.
Might be good to do so for a week or so now anyway, as whatever it was it'll be back.

So what does a fox kill typically look like? It must have been interrupted? No other injury beyond a fatal neck puncture.

Regrettably I am setting up live traps on several animal runs I believe to be fox judging from experience and urine smell. If I catch any adult Fox or Racoon I will attempt to cover the trap and relocate them 15 miles or more away. If they don’t cooperate I’m afraid they may have to be euthanized. Frankly I hope the traps are empty

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/nuisance/

Whatever else you do, it is illegal to relocate wildlife in Virginia. You catch it, you kill it. Or if it's legal you keep it as a pet or something (and it's probably illegal).

If it was me I would just kill it. You don’t want to risk it coming back, and if it already got a taste of your birds then be sure that it WILL come back. Relocating is a bad idea because it would just find someone else’s flock to munch on. Or it might find it’s way back. Relocation is only a temporary solution.

What would make a single hole that diameter? Is it possible it was shot?

Yes, do you live around any hunters that could have mistaken the bird for some animal? Or some neighbors tired of your noisy birdies? Because I find it hard to understand why the “fox” wouldn’t just drag it off and eat it. And normally, in my experience, foxes will destroy the the whole flock and eat their heads. You wouldn’t find the whole body if it was a fox, or even a body at all.

Back
Top Bottom