Apr 5, 2019
Yellowstone County, Montana
We made our own coop, before we got our first batch of girls, and... I hate it. It took forever to build because we are so busy. Now I’m looking into purchasing a prefab coop to supplement ours since we are short on time. Or maybe design plans online that take the guesswork out of what I need to do/buy? Especially the layout! I hate my layout and it can’t really be changed.

What recommendations do you have? I know those cheap ones online will never hold up to Montana weather extremes. My current coop was built with insulated 2x6 walls and floor. We used leftover metal siding from our house and it’s definitely sturdy, but it’s too small and the interior is awkward.

I want something sturdy, durable, can be or is already insulated, but don’t want to spend a fortune. With money or with time. I know, my wish-list ambitious but I was figuring if anyone knows it would be the BYC community!

Attached are some unfinished photos of the coop.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 973995DC-7D14-4264-85B9-89836541BB1F.jpeg
    973995DC-7D14-4264-85B9-89836541BB1F.jpeg
    615.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 68FB6910-0DA5-4835-96AD-B66F90AA9B08.jpeg
    68FB6910-0DA5-4835-96AD-B66F90AA9B08.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 24
  • C022AB3C-9A3E-4BE8-8E5A-6D31EA08CC1C.jpeg
    C022AB3C-9A3E-4BE8-8E5A-6D31EA08CC1C.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 23
Lower nest box to below the level of the roost to keep the birds from wanting to perch there (poop there) all night.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/
Oh it’s funny you say that because I did another thread a few days a got of the girls sleeping in the nesting box. That was one of the things I researched.

The coop is still too small though. It’s only 4’ by 6’ and we have 8 chickens. The run is well over 100sq ft, but they spend a lot of time inside since our weather is pretty bad and we don’t have a roof over the run yet.

Most of the prefab coops are made out of wood that is only going to last for a couple of years. I bought a prefab coop but it was made out of composite wood and was quite costly. I'm making a coop that is 8x8 and 7 feet in height for half the price. I would find a coop design that you like and just build it yourself.

My thing is, where to find the plans that someone in a similar climate as mine has already used and liked?
If you Google "chicken coop layout or plans" there are a lot of websites that make you pay a minimal amount to get the layout of a coop with all the materials listed that you need.

If you search on here, there are a lot of articles and threads that have coop designs and plans.

I just found this link from North Dakota University where student projects required coop design. It’s broken down by class year (going back to 1933) and coop size.

I think I’ll work off this since ND and MT have similar, extreme climates. If it’s good enough for ND it’s good enough for MT!

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension-aben/buildingplans/poultry

I was fortunate to have 2 large outbuildings on the property we moved to. The former owners made picture frames for Silver Dollar City and required a lot of storage. I made half of the 40' x 16' outbuilding my coop, and built an 8' x 16' run on the back. Outbuildings make good walk in coops. Just add ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom