Pregnant barn cat *update* We have kittens!

I politely disagree. Abortion is abortion whether it's a human, cat, or platypus. I will not be getting her spayed while she is pregnant. It's not my fault there are so many kittens in this world and I won't do something I consider immoral to prevent more of them. I will get her spayed after the birth to prevent it from happening again. We all thought she was much younger than she was and that we had more time. I know very well the impact these kittens will have on other already living kittens. That's why I planned to have her spayed in the first place. I'm not being irresponsible and careless. I do care. I refuse to spend money we don't have on a cat when the people in my family can't afford all the care they need. I'm not looking for advice on killing unborn kittens, I want to know how to take care of Jack while she's pregnant and her kittens when they get here.

Well said.

I just wanna say good for you for standing your ground! I too believe that aborting the kittens would be immoral! I just did some quick research for you! Try and make sure the room in the garage is somewhat warm. Give her shredded newspaper or paper towels to "nest" with. Giving her some sort of nest box might be a good idea. Watch for restlessness and heavy breathing to know they are coming. Keep watch while she is birthing. You need to make sure there is one placenta for every kitten born. They will come out soon after each kitten and mom may eat them so be there to count before she can. . If there are not enough then a vet visit may be required because a retained placenta can cause infection. Have a pair of sharp scissors handy and some kind of string. If mom doesn't catch every cord and cut them with her teeth then you will have to tie and cut it. Make sure mom cleans them all and if she doesn't then maybe try and help her. If you see one that is having trouble getting to her nipples to nurse then you can help it get to where it needs to be. Moms food should be kitten food while pregnant. Hope this helped a little. Good luck with mom and babies!
hugs.gif

I just wanna say good for you for standing your ground! I too believe that aborting the kittens would be immoral! I just did some quick research for you! Try and make sure the room in the garage is somewhat warm. Give her shredded newspaper or paper towels to "nest" with. Giving her some sort of nest box might be a good idea. Watch for restlessness and heavy breathing to know they are coming. Keep watch while she is birthing. You need to make sure there is one placenta for every kitten born. They will come out soon after each kitten and mom may eat them so be there to count before she can. . If there are not enough then a vet visit may be required because a retained placenta can cause infection. Have a pair of sharp scissors handy and some kind of string. If mom doesn't catch every cord and cut them with her teeth then you will have to tie and cut it. Make sure mom cleans them all and if she doesn't then maybe try and help her. If you see one that is having trouble getting to her nipples to nurse then you can help it get to where it needs to be. Moms food should be kitten food while pregnant. Hope this helped a little. Good luck with mom and babies!
hugs.gif

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you! That is the most helpful and encouraging thing anyone has told me so far. :)

I just find it interesting that people don't apply human standards to other facets of animal care (and this is not directed at you, it's off on a general tangent, so please dont take it personally), but they will balk at abortion of a litter. People will euthanize an animal, or get rid of it for one of many reasons, things you wouldnt do to a family member, but when it comes to killing little cute kittens they will apply the same standards as they do to people.
Ok, I'm off that now, and please dont get upset, I've been dealing with a lot of that kind of stuff and also bleeding hearts that want to endanger people with vicious dogs (post on that to come..) so I'm a little peeved..

Anyway, I have done plenty of rescue where they HAVE given birth (I wont abort if I think its halfway or more, BTW), so a couple tips:

_ she needs to be SECURELY confined, preferably in a room or cage where if she gets out that door she is not loose, but in another room. Cats can be very sneaky especially when they are all weird with hormones.

- DO NOT allow other animals near her when she has the kittens. Some mom cats are very protective and will attack other animals that come near. Some dont, but safer not to press your luck, I still bear scars from ten years ago when I got in the line of fire of a mom cat who spotted my cat nearby.

- She cant be spayed while she is nursing, but she CAN get pregnant while nursing, so she has to stay securely confined until her kittens are weaned, so a minimum of eight weeks.

- start calling the low cost places now, because some have a long wait time. Dont wait til you are ready to do it. Same for the kittens. Also, if you explain that you took in a pregnant cat and are doing all of them, they might be able to give you a bigger break. I had a cat have six kittens this past year (she came with the house and was due any day when we found her) and the shelter did them for $20 each since I was doing seven AND was keeping them here so they didnt have to find them homes.

- make sure mom gets as much food as she needs, those kittens are going to take a lot out of her now and while she is nursing.

No problem! I'm new to a few of the animals that I have and have become a researching google genius because of it! I have had some experiences with getting answers that don't help at all and have found that sometimes it's just better to find answers mayself! If you want to find all the info you can before she goes into labor just google "what do i need for a cat giving birth" or "what does a cat need to give birth"! I did it for my goats that are coming and found every possible way to help them and everything I need for a "medicine cabinet" and pictures of all possible complications and how to fix them. Google is sometimes a lifesaver! Best of luck to you and your kitty! Give her all the attention you can and she will become your best friend!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you! That is the most helpful and encouraging thing anyone has told me so far. :)

Thank you. :) I have been googling. (I looove google.) I just wanted some opinions from people answering specifically to my questions.

Thank you. :) I have been googling. (I looove google.) I just wanted some opinions from people answering specifically to my questions.

Yeah! I get that! Somehow I have just found that when it comes to breeding pretty much anything, even by accident, you will always get people that think baby animals are the end of the world! They are probably the biggest joy in my life, after my human family, and give me smiles each and every day! I am currently breeding chickens and rabbits and will soon be breeding my pig and I have 2 bred pygmy goats coming that will deliver in July! BABIES ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!

Yeah! I get that! Somehow I have just found that when it comes to breeding pretty much anything, even by accident, you will always get people that think baby animals are the end of the world! They are probably the biggest joy in my life, after my human family, and give me smiles each and every day! I am currently breeding chickens and rabbits and will soon be breeding my pig and I have 2 bred pygmy goats coming that will deliver in July! BABIES ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!
I so agree! I have 30 something eggs in the incubator right now. :) I love babies and (almost) everything that comes with them. I'll be so excited when I have chicks and kittens to take care of.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom