Price to raise a chicken ? FUNNY MATH at it's best.

Bossroo

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Sign of the times... I saw an add for a great priced bank owned small farm very close to town on a nice paved road with custom homes for neighbors, so we whent to check it out. Add... Great 2000 sq ft. farm house on @5+/- acres with hay barn and 8 stall horse barn, fenced and cross fenced, and 3 car garage+ shop, level with trees. Lots of potential. Under $200,000.
celebrate.gif
Well, the house was built in 1920, and in great need of a complete remodel... roof leaks badly , needs new roof , 2 wood burning fireplaces for heat, totally shot. needs new kitchen as it is basically non functional. needs new wiring as the old wires are unsafe , electrical panel is old screw in type, old type 2 wire insulation frayed. 2 bathrooms need total makeover, toilet cracked , all fixtures leaking, tubs and showers rusted. Hay barn leaning @10*, roof leaks badly. Horse barn stalls look like beavers have been at work, delapidated, roof wood shingles badly cupped and leaking all over. needs new septic tank and possibly a new well as it is about 30 feet from the septic tank. To round out the great price is the wonderful annual property tax of $3,841.34.
ep.gif
The question is... Since we currently raise 25 Cornish X , 3-4 times / year, and process them at 35 days for game hens ... how many chickens +++ golden eggs do I have to raise and SELL per year so that it wouldn't cost me $27.13 per gormet breakfast and dinner bite ???
idunno.gif

You want your chickens to pay the property taxes? Teach them to do tricks and set them out on the street corners, begging.

The property sounds wonderful to me. I don't mind a fixer-upper. Watch out for your local lead paint laws, though. Just be sure about what you are getting into with that.

With gold being at about $1,700 per ounce, and my non gold chicken eggs weighing about 2 ounces, I would think 2 or 3 gold eggs a month would be enough. If you could start up a breeding flock that consistantly lays gold eggs, you could sell layers too, which could help pay the bills too.

Wow, definitely a fixer-upper. OK if you're good at that, and have lots of money for Home Depot! But I'm not sure your chickens could EVER even for one year pay the property taxes! Mine only buy their own feed !!

Back
Top Bottom