Prolapse, please help. I'm not sure my hen will make it.

Mar 15, 2021
I have a hen who has prolapse, and I'm not sure what to do at this point- the poor thing's a little trooper, and I don't know how she hasn't passed yet.

She's got white discharge stuff around her protruding vent, which I assume is her poop, so at least she's sort of pooping. For the past 3 days, she's been quarantined in a nice dark pen with pine shavings, food and water. As far as I know, she's barely eaten or drank.

She's been given epsom salt baths for 15-20 minutes daily; she's been dried off afterwards. I've tried to push her hanging vent back in, and put veggie oil around her vent so that it will push in easier. However, it keeps falling out. The tissue is black, so it's dying. I don't know what to do anymore.

Please, I need help. I've researched forums and stuff but I don't know what to do at this point.

it's a hard decision to make but if the tissue is dying and her organs will not remain inside the kindest option will be to euthanize her. it's never easy but I dont think there will be a happy ending to this story, relieve her of her pain and and a prolonged death with dying tissue shes at a huge risk for infection throughout her or sepsis I'm so sorry this happened you've clearly given her your best and then some :hugs

i had one that had a prolapse 3 years ago (black also as other chickens were pecking at her). Preparation H (hemorrhoid oitment) helped temporarily until brought to the vet, push it back in and apply ointment... the final solution was to get her to vet, couple stitches in the butt, and prep. H ointment... healed perfectly and she never had it ever since. Vet bill wasn't to expensive and well worth it, but have to make sure to 'open' the stitch 2x a day so she can lay an egg... make sure vet makes a shoe lace tie out of it. Worked well!

Last edited:
i had one that had a prolapse 3 years ago (black also as other chickens were pecking at her). Preparation H (hemorrhoid oitment) helped temporarily until brought to the vet, push it back in and apply ointment... the final solution was to get her to vet, couple stitches in the butt, and prep. H ointment... healed perfectly and she never had it ever since. Vet bill wasn't to expensive and well worth it, but have to make sure to 'open' the stitch 2x a day so she can lay an egg... make sure vet makes a shoe lace tie out of it. Worked well!
I'll try to take her to the vet ASAP. I don't know if it will do good at this point, but it's the one thing I haven't tried, simply because I don't know if there's any vets in my area that will accept chickens. I'll do some more digging. How did you "open" and close the stitches?

I'll try to take her to the vet ASAP. I don't know if it will do good at this point, but it's the one thing I haven't tried, simply because I don't know if there's any vets in my area that will accept chickens. I'll do some more digging. How did you "open" and close the stitches?
Hemorrhoid cream really helped in reducing swelling, pain, discomfort i am sure too.

My vet was not very knowledgeable about chickens until I start coming along, they should accept them if they accept other small animals/farm animals, mine has anyways.

After cleaning her up, bathing etc., The vet basically gave her a single stitch in the bottom of the vent from left to right, to tighten things up... And essentially turned the stitch into a shoe lace type knot/loop... literally was like untying a shoe, and to close back up just tie like a shoe again gently. She healed up perfectly in no time, along with PREPARATION H.
But you HAVE TO MAKE SURE to open it daily, as she can get egg bound and die from that...

Happy chicken ever since, she is the boss of the flock now.

Last edited:
Hemorrhoid cream really helped in reducing swelling, pain, discomfort i am sure too.

My vet was not very knowledgeable about chickens until I start coming along, they should accept them if they accept other small animals/farm animals, mine has anyways.

After cleaning her up, bathing etc., The vet basically gave her a single stitch in the bottom of the vent from left to right, to tighten things up... And essentially turned the stitch into a shoe lace type knot/loop... literally was like untying a shoe, and to close back up just tie like a shoe again gently. She healed up perfectly in no time, along with PREPARATION H.
But you HAVE TO MAKE SURE to open it daily, as she can get egg bound and die from that...

Happy chicken ever since, she is the boss of the flock now.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't find any vets in the area that are willing to treat chickens, although some of them will treat more exotic birds. Even if I could, my dad is not allowing me to take her to the vet, saying I'm going too far for her, even though I mentioned you said the bill wouldn't be expensive for this kind of procedure, so I can't do anything for my poor hen. She's probably going to die and there's nothing I can do.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't find any vets in the area that are willing to treat chickens, although some of them will treat more exotic birds. Even if I could, my dad is not allowing me to take her to the vet, saying I'm going too far for her, even though I mentioned you said the bill wouldn't be expensive for this kind of procedure, so I can't do anything for my poor hen. She's probably going to die and there's nothing I can do.
awww :( don't get hard on yourself, if there's nothing you can do you might as well make her comfortable before she passes. do you have any photos? Is she alert and moving? These things may help you tell what can be the best course of action at this point. There are plenty of threads on euthanizing your chickens, give me a moment and i can give you some links if you want. Make sure shes comfortable and happy, you gave it your best shot. If you have any pics, that would also be good.

She has her eyes open, but doesn't move around much other than slow waddles. She doesn't sit down, because I imagine it pains her. When you asked for pictures, I'm assuming you meant of the prolapse, so I've attached one to this reply. The lighting and angle is kind of bad, I'm sorry. There's already so much crap on her stuff and I just cleaned her again a few hours ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_222614344.jpg
    IMG_20210315_222614344.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom