Pros and cons of keeping roos

Unclebean

Rest in Peace 1977-2013
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Tower City, PA
When I purchased my first chicks a few months ago I ended up with 5 roos out of 10 chicks (that's my luck
tongue.png
). Now I'm stuck with the decision to keep them or give them away. My goal is producing eggs for eating so I know a roo is not needed but I also understand they help protect the free range flock. I've since purchased 11 more pullets so I have 21 chickens in my flock. I have one RIR roo and 4 BA roos. Any suggestions? Keep one? Keep them all?

I'd wait to see on their personalities. RIR roosters are notorious for attacking and being aggressive, although I can guarantee that at least 2 people will get on here and contradict me with stories of their nice RIRs. But by and large, RIR roos are not nice. I used to work at a ranch that had both and the Australorp roos just kinda strutted around and ate bugs while the RIR roo would run across a 40 acre pasture to attack me, horses, dogs, etc ...

With only 5 hens, one rooster would be plenty. I'd keep the nicest one and cull or give away the others. If no one wants them, then they can be made tender in the crockpot.

I would rehome all but one of the Black Australorp roos, I have BA hens and they're some of the sweetest and most docile birds I've had. I've heard the same things about the roosters disposition. If you don't plan on eating them, or breeding then you really only need one in my opinion.

I have had a number of RIR Roos and EVERY one of them are NO longer with us. They seem to be aggressive to their hens, they fight amoungst themselves and im my Humble opinion are just rapists.

They do not really take care of their hens. You may have a nice one though. I have had some GORGEOUS roos that just did not work out for the hens. I have one now that ihas a date with the taxidermist.

If you are free ranging on plenty of acreage then I'd say the more roosters the better
they protect the flock and if free ranged cost little to feed
they will usually sacrifice themselves to allow the hens time to seek cover, so you lose a rooster instead of a hen.

I would keep the RIR, they are really good roosters

I concur with several of the previous suggestions. Even with your additional 11 pullets, one roo is probably fine. If you were going for fertility, I would say keep two...but for just protection and all-around roo/hen happiness, I think one would be good.

I would also say choose your nicest one, but that may be difficult at this point. Their temperaments can change when you alter flock dynamics (take some away
smile.png
). But the naughty ones should be making themselves known soon.

Another possibility, if you are attached to more than one, is a "bachelor pad" coop. I have never had one, but I've heard on this site that people with several roos have a separate coop for them, and they live together fine without fighting. As long as they can be a ways away from the girls. Girls will cause strife. Huh.
wink.png

Last edited:
If your goal is eggs for eating, get rid of the roosters. My first rooster was a conservative eater and nice with the ladies but he chased me so he went bye-bye. My second rooster was a total glutton, he ate as much as my 6 hens combined. He was nice to me but he ate so much food and obviously wasn't laying eggs so he went bye-bye too. I am really enjoying just having girls, everyone earns their keep and there is no crowing to irritate my husband.

Given you luck--50/50 on roos/pullets--I'd suggest keeping a couple if you're going to free range. As soon as you dump 4 out of the 5, something will nail the one you keep. I wouldn't free range without having a rooster or two to keep the hens together and out of trouble.

Keep the 2 nicest ones. I'd kill the rest of them and either eat them or donate them to the soup kitchen. They're always appreciating free food (Isn't everyone).

Quote:
agree. as long as the two dont fight with each other. I have 1 roo just for some flock protection. and I would like to have some of my brahmas hatch out some eggs in the future.

Back
Top Bottom