Proud Rooster Moment!

TheAmundsons

Songster
Mar 11, 2018
Vermillion, SD
Roosters tend to get a bad reputation, so I thought I’d share a happy story about ours!

We are out of town right now for a week, so our friends are watching our birds while we’re gone. We had them stop by before we left so we could show them where everything is, and they brought their new puppy. Our chickens were free ranging and the puppy wasn’t on a leash (we live in the country), so we were keeping a close eye on everything.

A little back story: we have one rooster, and he has NEVER shown even the slightest bit of aggression or dominance over any of our chickens/ducks/us. We weren’t really confident in his ability and willingness to protect the gals while they’re free ranging.

Well when the puppy spotted the chickens in the woods, he started heading over toward them. Our rooster came out of nowhere and started chasing the puppy away from the girls! After the puppy was closer to us, the rooster just stood his ground in front of the ladies. It was so neat to see him be the protector of the flock! Like I said, we were there supervising, and should anything have escalated too far, we would’ve stopped it.

We also got a call this morning that one of the ladies started laying! Now we’ll be able to come home to our first eggs!!!

Good rooster. Puppies can do a lot of damage when they are just out for fun. Hope they show some respect for your birds and don't allow the puppy to take his energy out on them.

Back
Top Bottom